Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC -- IP profiles

AlanAtHome
Grafter

FTTC -- IP profiles

Hi
I was just reading last months announcement about new profiles. Mine is still on 20,000 should this of changed?
Thanks
Alan
(user name apogee)
7 REPLIES 7
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Re: FTTC -- IP profiles

Hi Alan,
They've not all been changed yet, new customers going on the trial will see 37000 or 92000 depending on whether they are on FTTC or FTTP, the rest will be updated over the next few weeks. The main reason they've not been changed is that changing it may cause your connection to disconnect so we don't want to do them all in one go.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
jch
Dabbler

Dave,
Can you confirm that my IP Profile of 23637 is expected as I started on the trial on 15 Feb?    I've rebooted the OpenReach VDSL modem a few times and it hasn't budged once.  I wasn't expecting distance to the cabinet to be an issue: it's only a couple of hundred metres away.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Where are you seeing that figure?
It's the Plusnet IP profile that we are talking about here, not the one that may be seen when doing a bt speedtest.
jch
Dabbler

Quote from: Peter
Where are you seeing that figure?
It's the Plusnet IP profile that we are talking about here, not the one that may be seen when doing a bt speedtest.

Oh.  My Plusnet IP profile says 37Mb.  That figure comes from the BT speed test: it says "IP Profile for your line is -23637 Kbps"  I think the minus sign is supposed to be punctuation Smiley
Should it be that low?  Can in influence it at all?
jch
Dabbler

I wish I knew more about this stuff:  Ethernet bridges, IP routers and everything from there up I'm perfectly fine with.
Is this 23737 related to the MSR for ADSL?
Am I just impatient and all will be sweetness and light in a few days?
jedi98
Grafter

A couple of hundred meters is an appreciable distance for VDSL, mine is 37Mbps @ about 50-60m, also remember there could be a rough bit of somewhere (outside of your property).
However, does anybody else have any sub 37Mbps speeds and distance to cabinet figures to compare?
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

The BT IP profile is based on your sync speed and is recalculated every time you resync the modem. The DLM on FTTC works a lot simpler than ADSL in that it just has a series of banded profiles with and without interleaving. It just steps up and down the profiles depending on the stability of the line. Most lines get the full 40Mbps but any unstable will get lower. Without checking I'd guess your line is capped at 25Mbps. If it stays stable then it will increase in a few days. It's quite normal to hop around the profiles especially in the first 10 days or so.
There are a few charts showing the speeds against distance on FTTC, from experience we've seen that up to around 500Mbps on good quality copper you tend to be able to get the full 40Mbps, the further out from there the lower it gets at past 1km it drops off very quick. If there's poor quality copper or aluminium then the speed reduction is far more dramatic at shorter distances.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology