cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC House installation.

tedsloan
Dabbler

FTTC House installation.

I have booked for the installation in about two weeks time. I am aware that the BT Engineer would carry out any extension wiring but bearing in mind he is going to use the skirting board, up and over doors etc. I have done that part myself using Cat5e cable thereby reducing the visual impact.
I am wondering however where the modem and router will be installed. Will the modem be right at the master socket with the router upstairs where the computer is used. I was hoping that the new face plate would have an Ethernet socket so that my cable could be plugged in there with the feed taken upstairs to the modem, router and then computer.
The ideal picture would be faceplate/Cat5e/modem/router/computer.
Anyone enlighten me please?
3 REPLIES 3
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: FTTC House installation.

The VDSL modem connects to the RJ11 socket in the new filtered faceplate that is put on the master socket. While it does work with existing ADSL filtered faceplates, BT must fit their version for the trial.
The Openreach engineer can fit an data extension kit (BT phone cable to a socket) to this new faceplate to anywhere in the house, but they can only use BT phone cable.
Initially my set-up was VDSL modem connected to faceplate via RJ11 -> RJ11 phone cable, modified TG585v7 router connected to VDSL modem via cat5e cable (both units next to master socket) and my wired network connected to router. I have since run a cat5 cable from VDSL modem to upstairs and now have the router upstairs and VDSL modem downstairs next to master socket.
I'm not sure if they are able to use the cat5 you have installed to feed the phone line to a BT socket. You will have to ask. Failing that you could do what I did so you have:
faceplate/VDSL modem/cat5e/router/computer.
This way you won't get any interference from any internal wiring. You just need a power socket next to the master socket.
tomm
Grafter

I started by thinking I'd use the BT data extension kit. Abandoned that, installed the modem next to the BT socket and then ran flat black cat5e cable(from Scan.co.uk) under the carpet from the modem to my router which is by the TV - ideal for the freesat box which runs bbc iplayer, xbox which runs sky player and any future streaming.
I then used solwise piggy homeAV power over ethernet plugs and there's one of those behind the TV and one in my office where I have an 8 port switch and plug everything into that. It works really well and I get good throughput over the 200Mb homeAV plugs, easily greater than the 40Mb FTTC anyway.
There are many ways to solve this issue I guess and I did it this way because the phone socket was already in the living room but not by the TV and I knew I wanted to start being able to stream stuff straight onto the main TV.
Cheers, Tom.
tedsloan
Dabbler

Thank you both for replying to my earlier message.
I have a fairly good idea how this will work out as it seems that it is almost inevitable that the modem will be sitting next to the master socket. This is not the end of the world but I had hoped to have both the router and the modem upstairs and out of sight !
Regards - Ted