Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Expansion?

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Re: FTTC Expansion?

Oh no, sorry about that. I was just going to give you some good news too, the order has finally been accepted. The came back about half an hour ago and I've got the order placed. I've provisionally booked 3rd September in the morning but should be able to change it (I just had to put something in to try it and that was the earliest available date). I should get confirmation that the order is OK tomorrow.
If the other 2 that are affected are reading, so long as bluewhale's order is accepted I'll retry your orders tomorrow.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
bluewhale
Rising Star

brilliant.
any chance of one of those new routers your testing 😉
anyone need any c# dev work doing? going cheap...
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'll see if I can get anything else, I'm waiting for the config file for FTTC for the TG585vn routers and I've no Netgears left at the moment. If I can get the TG585n working I'll let you have that.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
TonyC
Grafter

So my line is finally showing as "Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 30th September 2010" which is great because i currently have a sub 1MB (750 usually). and I can't wait.
I ahve two questions really:
The wiring into my house doesn' t however have an NTE5 master socket - I assume BT would install a new socket when they install the FTTC?
and I've read that they will install an extension kit if needed to site the router somewhere else in the house, but they won't drill through walls etc (which i understand) - would they feed through already drilled holes?
Thanks
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

They'd fit a new NTE5 yeah so that isn't an issue. For the extension kit they will pin it to a skirting board or run it round doors, I've not been asked about going through existing holes but will ask, don't think it will be a problem but I'll double check.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
bluewhale
Rising Star

will i end up with 2 extension lines after then? 1 for the phone and 1 for the data?
as currently our phone is also at the end of an extension line
or could we get the master socket moved?
guess i'll see when they come, maybe a bribe of some choccy biscuits 🙂
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

They might be able to relocate it, depends on how all the wiring works and where the line comes in the property, best thing to do is ask, they can do some things.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
edenview41

Hi Dave,
Can you tell me how many cabs this postcode is connected to?
For FTTC I get a yes by postcode check but no by phone number checking.
HX3 0AT
Thanks
Paul
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi Paul, 90% of lines on that postcode are covered by cab 14, 10% by cab 74. Cab 14 is on the to do list, but isn't done yet. Cab 74 isn't in the plan. I'd keep checking your phone number and see if it changes.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
edenview41

Quote from: dave
Hi Paul, 90% of lines on that postcode are covered by cab 14, 10% by cab 74. Cab 14 is on the to do list, but isn't done yet. Cab 74 isn't in the plan. I'd keep checking your phone number and see if it changes.

I dont suppose you have locations of cab 14 and 74?
Thanks
Paul
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Dave can you find the plans for my line, BT says September.
I am currently on ADSL  cabinet 10,  they have only put one Fibre cabinet up, we have two old ones either side of the end of my road, mine is to the right, the other to the left has the new cabinet next to it
bluewhale
Rising Star

hi dave,
just to say the nice openreach engineer has been and gone. so now on fttc. working ok.
engineer very kindly moved the line box to near the PC.
although download still capped by plusnet profile i think, is that correct can it be reset or will it do it istelf at somepoint?
upload speed at 8mb.
have to say the master box are very big, about 2 inches deep, so sticking right out of the wall, can see myself banging the hoover into it.
cheers
pete
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi Pete,
Excellent. I've changed the profile over now for you, you might need to disconnect and reconnect for the change to take effect. I've not got the FTTC faceplate but I've got one similar and know what you mean about the size, thankfully mine's out of the way.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
bluewhale
Rising Star

so bounced the 2 boxes, took a very long time to connect back again, but finally did and now...wow!
so now just got to wait till my change of account happens in Oct I think ( why is it stated as a downgrade btw )
not too happy having to have 2 boxes running all the time though, makes a mockery of all the power saving i've done..
is there anyway of getting a vdsl modem/wireless router all in one?

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Can you get a combined router/modem yes, the Thomson TG789vn we've used on FTTP does that, we've sent a DLink model out to a customer too. Will it work? No idea to be honest. The Thomson worked... after a lot of fiddling and the DLink doesn't yet. Reason is the chipset and settings in the router needs to match the cab which is the main reason that it's engineer installed because the engineer will supply a modem that matches the cab. When we did try the Thomson on the line, Openreach weren't happy and we had to switch back, they could see it wasn't their modem on the line. I don't see a self install option coming any time soon which means that you need the BT modem to be there, it's just the same as cable really.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology