cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Down - is it modem or line problem?

mkuser

FTTC Down - is it modem or line problem?

My fibre went down on Wednesday morning at about 4 AM (according to the logs). Trying to reboot the modem and router later on the evening gave me a couple of minutes of bad connection and when I tried to change some cables (and so left the modem off for a few minutes), I got about 15 minutes of good connection, yesterday I tried rebooting the modem+router twice but got no connection at all.
The modem is constantly switching between either flashing the DSL light or turning it off completely.
Reading the other thread about the overheating modem, I'm wondering if this sounds like one of those, or if it's more likely to be a line issue?
And does anyone know how long it usually takes to fix these kinds of issues? I raised ticket 43159342 on Wednesday at 8 PM but haven't heard anything after that.
13 REPLIES 13
Dev
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: FTTC Down - is it modem or line problem?

I think PN had some outages this week affecting customers in the South. I had 2-3 outages this week between 1-3 am and my solid IP of 37 is now done to 21  Sad
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Looks like we'll need to get an engineer out. Can you update your ticket with three dates/times during which you'll be available for an engineer visit? They're typically available Monday to Friday. You'd also need to specify whether or not your prefer a 8.00am-1.00pm or 1.00pm-6.00pm visit.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mkuser

Thanks Bob, I've updated the ticket.
mkuser

Well, the good news seems to be that the engineer visits gets booked in very quickly, the bad news is that nothing actually happens.
Three scheduled appointments later with no one showing up and no notification of any kind from BT I'm not very hopeful about getting this sorted any time soon. Having a desktop fan set up to blow cold air on the modem whenever it gets warm outside might be ok for a few days, but is not really something that I want to do all summer.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Something definitely sounds amiss here Huh
Can you update your ticket to confirm what your full postal address is? I want to check that the correct details have been submitted by the system when we've tried booking your engineer appointments.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mkuser

Done so now, thanks again Bob.
mkuser

Thanks Bob, whatever you did made it work so this time the engineer did turn up, so hopefully whatever he did (I wasn't at home so not sure) will have fixed the issue (will see when it turns hotter again I suppose.).
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Our faults team should be updating the ticket with some notes for you soon. Glad this seems to be sorted.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
bluewhale
Rising Star

were there any symptoms in the run up to this
i've had a few mysterious connection drops and i'm getting nervous
also if it goes can i still connect via adsl2? or is it back to phone modem slowness...
AxeMurderer
Grafter

You won't be able to fall back on ADSL. Only FTTP trialists have that option, because they get a new, extra, line to their premises.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

FYI the OP has reported that this fault has been resolved.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mkuser

It was fixed, and it worked fine until this week when I started having the same problems again, so I've raised question 45010181 and am hoping that the BT guy will go to the correct address on the first try this time. Smiley
On a BT community forum someone said that they'd been told that a fixed modem will be available in about 3 weeks, anyone know if that's true?
mkuser

Fixed again, unfortunately with the same modem model, so probably won't last that long.
However, the engineer said that the new version is coming soon so hopefully I'll be able to get one of those next time at least.