cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[FTTC] Change of Static IP

WWWombat
Grafter

[FTTC] Change of Static IP

I recently applied to be on the FTTC trial, wanting to keep our static IP.
We were told that we'd have to have a different IP address - seemingly because of the change in package from an old one (ADSL Home Surf) to Extra.
Is that right?
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
6 REPLIES 6
Picnic
Grafter

Re: [FTTC] Change of Static IP

Not sure if all upgrades are equal but I kept the same static IP as I moved from some now defunct ADSL product (can't remember the exact product, some option 3 thing with 30GB usage a month)  to the fibre trial and then to Extra, still using FTTC.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Yep, a change of static IP rarely applies these days but moving from Home or biz surf to a newer product would definitely cause that.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
WWWombat
Grafter

Thanks Adam. We now have the change ordered, but it's a little way off.
As it requires a change of package, when will that occur? At the next billing date, on the date FTTC is installed, or at the 1st billing date after FTTC has been installed?
I'll have to go and fiddle with some firewall rules when it happens, so I just want to be prepared...
Plusnet Customer
WWWombat
Grafter

I got an answer to this in the ticket...
The change of package is going to happen at the next billing date, before the fibre install goes ahead.
Plusnet Customer
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Home/Biz surf packages had special restrictions (no P2P etc) and the simplest way of doing it (at the time - this is many years ago) was to allocate a block of IPs for use on those packages only. They cannot be used for non-surf packages so the IP address has to change when moving away from them.
All package changes are now done on the next billing date, and currently the packages have no direct relationship with the physical connection method (ADSL/ADSL2/FTTC/FTTP) so are not limited to having a specific connection. When the new FTTC products are finally released there will be restrictions on what package you can have e.g. those on FTTC/FTTP can only switch between the fibre packages.
WWWombat
Grafter

Hmmm. Never knew about the  "No P2P" aspect (and it has never failed when I need a new Fedora disk), but perhaps that was the restriction before the Ellacoyas arrived. Since Traffic Management started, the Homesurf package has always been defined as "the same as Premier Option 1" - it's now so legacy that it doesn't appear any more. But that history would help explain why an IP change is needed.
In fact, it was only today that I realised that the "traceroute" listings specifically show the HomeSurf stuff in place:
[tt]traceroute to www.cnn.com (157.166.224.25), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1  router.xxx.org.uk (192.168.0.1)  0.549 ms  0.879 ms  1.584 ms
2  lo0-homesurf.pcl-ag01.plus.net (195.166.128.28)  14.183 ms  16.019 ms  16.974 ms
[/tt]

I also knew that package changes were (nowadays) restricted to billing dates - at least when you requested *just* a package change. As this is really a request to be included in the fibre trial, which necessitated a package change (and even then, possibly for sales/marketing reasons only) , it wasn't so obvious what happens, when.
Then, the timing fell out that Fibre was ordered in this billing month, but is installed in the next billing month, so it again wasn't obvious.
On the whole, I don't mind which date is used. I just needed to know beforehand....
Plusnet Customer