cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Alternate Modems?

TJN

FTTC Alternate Modems?

Draytek do a VDSL2 router/modem for fibre - Vigor2750 series, so that's a single box, with 4x 1Gb/s LAN ports and 802.11n, UBB for mobile broadband back-up etc
I'm looking for something that is 1: more reliable 2: more features for VPN etc.
- has anyone tried it to replace the OpenReach/Netgear combo?
- would you guys at plusnet support it?
6 REPLIES 6
knowdice
Rising Star

Re: FTTC Alternate Modems?

Another one to look at is the AVM Fritz!Box 7390
I doubt that Plusnet would support or even condone replacement of the BT modem as this is supplied as part of a fully managed service...but I'm sure they can comment on this themselves.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi TJN,
With fibre the demarcation point becomes the modem, so you cannot use alternative equipment.
Jojo Smiley
puffin
Grafter

But if you try it and it works (and you don't get insta-blackflagged by BT), do let us know!
matt_2k34
Grafter

- would you guys at plusnet support it?

Of course not, hardly anyone provides "support" for kit they do not provide. at most you get a 'best effort, this is what we think it might be' kind of support.
Just remember, if it *does* work, you'll have to swap out your kit before BT will even contemplate looking at any issues you have.
and you don't get insta-blackflagged by BT

I would imagine that this is perfectly possible, however idk how much BT would be prepared to implement this to look after their investment. (and if they did, if it even worked...)
TJN

Quote from: knowdice
Another one to look at is the AVM Fritz!Box 7390

The Fritz box certainly looks good on paper... some info is a bit German..but thanks for the post, wish I'd known about it before I bought a Gigaset VoIP phone system and a USB FAX modem... but I guess if you put all your eggs in one basked it might be a bit more inconvenient when the one box goes down.
not sure if my wife would like the colour scheme though!!
My BT Openreach modem has lasted barely 1 month, they came to change it today (took 4 days to do that) - the sheer inconvenience of no internet for 4 days may outweigh what our dear ISP thinks about using an alternate manufacture router/modem.
Grin
matt_2k34
Grafter

the sheer inconvenience of no internet for 4 days may outweigh what our dear ISP thinks about using an alternate manufacture router/modem.

Unless BT refuse to provide you with a fibre service.
Then it wont outweigh the downtime.
Cheesy i've seen some pretty horrible reports about the FTTC modems. there must be some majorly bad batches - i've got two and their both fine O_o. (and its not like i dont hammer data through it either)..