cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[FTTC] 80/20 trial - what speeds should i expect?

cymroc
Dabbler

[FTTC] 80/20 trial - what speeds should i expect?

Been using the Zyxel router for 2 days now and seem to be averaging 55-60meg down and no more than 10meg up.  Is this the best speeds i can expect?
28 REPLIES 28
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: [FTTC] 80/20 trial - what speeds should i expect?

What does the BT Wholesale Checker say you should expect?
cymroc
Dabbler

"Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 80Mbps and upstream line speed of 20Mbps."
So i guess I should be achieveing close to the maximum then?  I'm only about a 100 yards from the green FTTC cabinets
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
It should run fairly well provided the wiring runs straight from the cabinet to your premises and is in good nick, though it looks like your connection has varied - does it normally remain stable and at a high rate?
KevinG
Rising Star

Yes, you should. What does the BT Speed Test say your IP profile is? (You can pretty much ignore the actual test result)
I get somewhat different results from different testers on different PCs at different times, so I find it's hard to be conclusive about what speed your connection is.
cymroc
Dabbler

Hi Matt,
Before the 80/20 trial  I was consistently achiveing d/l speeds of 38Mbps (cant tell you what the upload rate was but think it was approx 2Mbps)
Since starting the trial speeds have varied between 40Mbps (earlier today) and peaked at 63Mbps (3 days ago) but the peak was achieved using my old Cisco E2000 router.  Since swapping over to the Zyxel peak speed has been 58Mbps but not once have I achieved uploads speeds above 10Mbps.
Finding the Zyxel very poor wirelessly, my logitech squeezebox and radio keep losing their signals.  Also not happy that you can only reserve a max of 8 DHCP IP addresses.
I notice other people involved in the trial are using a netgear router - will i receive once of these to test?
cymroc
Dabbler

Hi Kevin,
BT speedtest shows:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 45 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-77.43 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.43 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 13.59Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
KevinG
Rising Star

Well based on that you certainly should be seeing d/l speeds of 75+ and upload of 15+.
What does this tester say? I've found it gives consistently good download results, although it tends to understate the upload.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: cymroc
I notice other people involved in the trial are using a netgear router - will i receive once of these to test?

One was dispatched to you just before the weekend and should be with you very soon Smiley Hope it makes a difference.
cymroc
Dabbler

Quote from: KevinG
Well based on that you certainly should be seeing d/l speeds of 75+ and upload of 15+.
What does this tester say? I've found it gives consistently good download results, although it tends to understate the upload.

Slightly better using that test - 60Mbps down, 13.4Mbps up so it's getting there!  Perhaps I need to be a bit more patient as I know they say it usually takes upto 10 days for speed to settle.  I'll see how it goes over next few days and will also try out the netgear router when that arrives to see if that makes a difference.
Just out of curiosity (and because I'm not keen on the the Zyxel) would you know if my old Cisco Linksys E2000 router is compatible with 80/20 FTTC?
KevinG
Rising Star

There's no "10 days" on FTTC. DLM starts its work after a day or so but you are still on the maximum sync and profile, so I don't think that's an issue.
Don't know about the Cisco router - does it have a WAN port for connecting the modem? If so it should work.
Edit: sorry, just seen you've already been using the Cisco router so I guess that answers that question!
cymroc
Dabbler

Thanks for your help Kevin, I only asked about the Cisco as I have been reading today that to get the most from FTTC you should use a VDSL2 capable router?
KevinG
Rising Star

It's the modem that needs to be VDSL2 capable, not the router.
Stewthecue
Grafter

I've been wondering the same thing.
I've been getting anything from 4Mb to 51Mb, but that's the max ive seen, and the 51Mb was wired not wireless.
My BTspeedtest results are nearly identical to that supplied by Cymroc. Judging by the results i'd expect upwards of 70Mb d/l.
It's pretty inconsistent really, and no where near what i was expecting.
My house is about 50-100m from the cabinet and the cable is only 6 years old(ish) so i really should expect the maximum i'd have thought.
I know it's a trial, so i'm not complaining, but before the trial i more often than not got less than 35Mb when all the tests showed i should be getting the 40Mb limit.
Any ideas?
Just tested it now....

I've had to use this speediest because bt's one is flaking out at the moment, but i really would expect it to be better than that on 80Mb download.
It's worth mentioning that was over wifi, but before the trial i had on occasion seen 30Mb over wifi.
cymroc
Dabbler

Quote from: KevinG
It's the modem that needs to be VDSL2 capable, not the router.

Oops, a little knowledge....  should have read the full article!