cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC 80/20: IP Profile high, Upload high, Download not so high...

willm888
Dabbler

FTTC 80/20: IP Profile high, Upload high, Download not so high...

There may be a very simple answer to this so I'm hoping one of the more knowledgeable members can help answer this query.
I've recently upgraded from 40/2 to 80/20 (2 days ago).  At 40/2 I was getting good speeds (37 down, 1.7 up with IP profiles from BT speedtester of 38717 and 2000).  Following the upgrade the IP profile is showing ~77000 and 20000 (BT speedtester) and the uploads are now around 16Mbps but "only" 41Mbps down (various testers, BT, BBMax, speedtest.net, TBB).  All tests have been done via ethernet.
Is there another factor that limits line rate other than IP profile since the modem reports max attainable rates of 122000 down and 38000 up and a sync rate of 79999 and 20000 with SNR of around 18db on both.  I've tried rebooting the modem and temporarily disconnecting the uplink cable to no effect.
Plusnets "profile" page shows 20Mbps which, from reading on here, suggests that it's up to the 80meg speeds
I'm happy to wait for the 10 days "stabilisation period" if that is what will do it but I thought it was strange that the upload has shot straight up whilst the download remains almost identical to before, particularly since the profiles have updated... Huh
Thanks for any insight!
3 REPLIES 3
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: FTTC 80/20: IP Profile high, Upload high, Download not so high...

Hi willm888,
All the profile and sync numbers are good, the attainable rate suggests that you are really close to the cabinet so it all looks good but it appears that something is limiting your throughput to 41Mbps.  This could be something external (on the BT / Plusnet systems) or something internal (your own equipment / network).  Your symptoms don't appear to match those of others where an unseen profile somewhere on the BT systems has caused a drop in download speeds so I have to ask whether you have tested with more than one router, have you tested with a computer directly connected to the modem and, have you tested with more than one computer?
One trialist previously reported limited throughput (sorry, I can't find the post) which turned out to be a faulty ethernet port, has this possibility been ruled out?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
willm888
Dabbler

Hi Walker23
Thanks for the reply.  As a follow up (and very much in line with your advice) I can confirm that it was my router that was limiting the throughput speeds.  On the 40/2 trial I had initially tested the netgear provided and a buffalo whr-54hp which performed much the same on download and upload rates but the buffalo gave me better wireless signal (and was already mounted, port forwarding sorted etc) so I decided to stick with that.  From the testing it would appear that it has a limited WAN->LAN throughput just above 40Mbps so was limiting the download (it is quite old!).  With the netgear I now get the full rate so it looks as though I'll have to relagate the buffalo to an access point and use the netgear for the WAN-LAN routing.  I had tested with 2 pc's  but they were both fed through the same router.
    Cheesy
Less than a week ago we be lucky if we were getting 3.5/0.3mbps so to say we're happy is an understatement!!!
As info for others we're about 180-200m (logical cable route distance) from the cabinet and the BT Checker predicted 68.7down and 20up.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi, really pleased you got it resolved!
Now, if I could just get my cabinet moved a little closer....
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.