cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FFTP removal of old copper line(s)

philg1

FFTP removal of old copper line(s)

I am an existing customer with Plusnet and I would like to upgrade to FFTP. At the moment we have two overhead phone lines to our house, one is connected and used for broadband, the other isn't doing anything (previous owner had two lines at some point).

When we switch to FFTP I would like the two old copper lines to be removed, is this something that Plusnet can arrange? Ideally this would be included but if there's a small additional fee to pay that should be fine, I just don't want three lines from the telegraph pole to our house!

5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: FFTP removal of old copper line(s)

It probably depends on the engineer. When we upgrade a service to FTTP, we’ll request the copper line is ceased, but whether it’s physically removed will depend whether the engineer on the day is able to and has time. 

If not then you could try going down this route https://www.openreach.com/building-developers-and-projects/altering-our-network although it may likely cost you. I can’t say how much but if you enquire, I’m sure Openreach could tell you before committing. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Ian06
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

When we had our FTTP connection installed the BT OR Engineer was keen to remove an old unused copper o/h cable (that we used to have a second line on)... he used it to pull the fibre cable from the pole across our neighbours garden.

We asked him to leave the current copper cable in place while we ensured the new connection was working, again he was happy to comply (as we hadn't cancelled our existing fttc connection.)  Another OR engineer came a couple of weeks later to install FTTP for our neighbour, he came to talk with me because of how the cable spans and poles were organised. He was more than happy to remove the old copper and again used it to help pull the fibre cable across the garden when installing our neighbour's connection.

I got the impression the engineers were encouraged to remove the old copper connections if they could.

The BT OR Engineers we had doing our local FTTP connections were very good and helpful, the four neighbour's here were all very pleased with how helpful the engineers were.

between1and16ch
Rising Star

Can the engineer use the existing hole in the wall of the house that is occupied by the 'copper' POTS line? I'd be very keen for them to do that, since the phone line would be retired, but what I read in the installation docs seems to imply that they have to drill a new entry point?

dazgee1965
Grafter

When my FTTP was installed the openreach engineer asked me if I wanted the old copper cable removing to which I said yes please.
Ian06
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@between1and16ch You will probably have to wait and see what the engineer is able to do on the day.  My guess (from my own experience) is that the engineer will be happy to accommodate you and route the cable where you want it as long as it fits the current OR specifications.  In general if you are happy to remove the old copper line before the fibre is up and working I can really see why the Engineer would object unless it is too high or the cable runs are too long.

I was quite nervous prior to my own installation about what the engineer would want to do as I didn't want to put the ONT near where the existing master socket was.  But you will need to talk with the engineer on the day - the guys that did the work round here were very helpful and accommodating... hopefully your engineer will be just as good.