Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange enabled for FTTC doesn't mean your CAB will be

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Exchange enabled for FTTC doesn't mean your CAB will be

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4580-only-40-of-cabinets-may-get-enabled-in-a-bt-fibre-broadband-...
"BT Openreach describes an exchange as in progress if there are ten cabinets live, but there could be 70 or 80 or more cabinets in that area – customers are seeing when their exchange is enabled but not when their cabinet is going to be, or even if it's going to be upgraded, because only about 40% or 50% of cabinets in a given area are scheduled or are likely to be upgraded.
BT needs to make it clearer what an enabled exchange means, make clear that a rollout can take place over three, four or five months and make clear that just because an exchange is enabled the actually coverage in that area could be 40% or 50%."
Stuart Watson, (Product Manager) Zen Internet
Whilst it is understandable that some exchanges may not get complete coverage, only enabling 40 or 50% of an exchange may be disheartening to users of an area that don't get included, leaving them with little hope of a next-generation broadband service.

4 REPLIES 4
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Exchange enabled for FTTC doesn't mean your CAB will be

Not necessarily Jim, do a phone number check, not postcode on the BT site, that will (or should) tell you
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

It's broken.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I did not long ago get a map of which cabinet did what, and the routes to the house, unfortunately I did not book mark it, and cant find it again still looking
jim:green moved to where you meant to put it mod:end
pierre_pierre
Grafter

now found where I got the map - but Embarrassed Embarrassed
FTTC Availability checker
Telephone number
Post code
Pre-register for FTTC at fttc@trefor.net. Zoom in on the map to check availability of FTTx in your area. It will in time include FTTP as well as FTTC. The availability checker below the map connects directly into the BT broadband estate database so the accuracy will match that of a search done directly with BT. Note that a picture of a cab doesn’t represent the actual location of that cab – one cabinet will serve a number of postcodes. Note also that whilst Phase6 exchange data is now available the cabinet rollout info has not yet been released so will not appear in the map. Phase 6 exchanges can be found here. FTTC Phase 6 Exchange List
    BT has asked me to remove the FTTC postcode map. I did originally have permission to use the data, but Openreach has now objected.
    I am in discussions with BT Re this- if you would like to see the map back, any supportive comments would be highly welcomed.
There are a few things you need to know about this map. Data is updated weekly as I get it from BT. As is the nature of a rollout that involves planning applications as well as civil engineering works the dates are subject to change. Also the fact that a particular postcode is showing up as “To be enabled” doesn’t mean that you will be able to get FTTC. Some cabinets will not have support for 100% of the lines within that cabinet due to length and quality of the line. Clicking on a green icon should tell you the percentage of lines from a given cabinet that will support FTTC.