cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evening Speed Crash ?

Cogin
Grafter

Evening Speed Crash ?

I’ve just go a new TV which has the BBC IPlayer built in. During the day I can watch Iplayer in high quality with no problem as you would expect with FTTC speeds. During the evening I can’t even load the Iplayers front page it just grinds to a halt. With a bit of trail and error it seems that the problem is only between 18:00hrs & 22:00hrs one minute before and one minute after it’s fine.
It might be a coincidence but this only seems to have happened since I increased my download limit. 
Is Plusnet applying throttling (more like strangulation in my case) to the Iplayer or is there something strange going on with my download speeds.
Although thinking about it my service shouldn’t have throttling, port blocking or traffic shaping on it anyway.
Any ideas anyone.
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Evening Speed Crash ?

Have you tried running iPlayer on the computer at that time
zubel
Community Veteran

Which product are you on?
B.
puffin
Grafter

If this has happened just after changing products it might be the same issue I had.  Try turning off both the router and the modem for ten minutes then restarting them to see if that helps, otherwise raise a ticket with Dave.
Cogin
Grafter

Hi
Thanks for your replies
Oldjim
No to be honest I haven’t but I suspect the only difference will be is that as the TV front screen is more graphically intensive it would load slower than the browser based front screen. I’ll have to try it.
What I find strange is the time factor one minute before 6 pm and whoosh up comes the TV’s IPlayer front screen One minute after and it’s a waste of time.
Barry
I’m a Madasafish customer and I moved up to Max Plus. One of their selling points is that they won’t impose restrictions such as throttling, port-blocking or traffic-shaping on your service. It’s roughly the same as Plusnet Pro
Puffin
Turning off the router and modem was the first thing I tried. It’s the time thing that’s got me confused why is the problem so time specific? As to raising a ticket I’d have to go through Madasafish’s Durban call centre something to avoid if at all possible if past experience is anything to go by.
Do Plusnet throttle Iplayer and it's like?
Colin
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Yes they do but for streaming only to 2.5Mb/s
Cogin
Grafter

A bit of an update
To answer oldjim’s question is the slowdown the same on my computer yes it is. Iplayer and Demand 5 are unwatchable constantly buffering. The next thing I did yesterday was to check with BT Speed Tester at 6:30pm to see what my connection rates were.
Configured download was 38717 kbps
Configured upload was 10000 kbps
Actual download was 26330 kbps
Actual upload was 8191 kbps
So what is causing the Iplayer and Demand 5 to become unwatchable between 6:00pm and 10pm. I’m left with throttling as the only answer I can think of but if Oldjim is right and Plusnet only throttle streaming to 2.5Mbs what’s going on? Surely that wouldn't cause streaming to stutter as badly as mine is plus there's the time factor to consider.
Anyone from Plusnet care to comment or anyone else with any ideas what it could be.
Colin
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi,
I suspect it's related to this problem on the Madasafish service status:
http://www.madasafish.com/support/service-status.html?action=messages&ispservice_id=adsldial
We're currently working on a fix, I'll see if I can find out when it will be done.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you run the iPlayer diagnostic? http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Cogin
Grafter

Thanks for the replies
Dave, would that problem be that time specific ie exactly between 6pm & 10pm?
Jelv, I also tried demand 5 and it's the same so I think it may be affecting all streaming services.
Colin
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Yep, exactly those times.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Colin, fix is partly done, not sure it will be able to take effect today or tomorrow for you but I'll check it tomorrow.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
Cogin
Grafter

Quote from: dave
I suspect it's related to this problem on the Madasafish service status:
http://www.madasafish.com/support/service-status.html?action=messages&ispservice_id=adsldial

Hi Dave
Wow part time Gremlin's but at least they are fantastic time keepers.
The fix didn't take effect yesterday evening. I'll check again tonight.
Colin