cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download Speed dropped

wncfc
Grafter

Download Speed dropped

My download speed has been consistently around 37Mbps till tonight when it has dropped to around 3!(Upload is still around 8 or 9 which it has always been).
I've phoned customer services to report this and they have escalated it to the faults team; I was just hoping one of the FTTP team might take a look as well - I've just read on here that the usual customer services might not really be aware of FTTP and might make it worse!!!
10 REPLIES 10
wncfc
Grafter

Re: Download Speed dropped

Got up this morning and speed is back to normal!  I am doubtful anyone at the faults team has actually done anything overnight to sort this out so has anyone any idea what can have happened.  Customer services said their test detected a fault on the line, so how has it cleared itself?

I suspect this has happened before where the speed has dropped in the evening. I only noticed late in the evening and wasn't going to contact you until the morning, but by then it was back to normal.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @wncfc

Everything looks in place on your account still with your speed profile still at 40mbps.

However our tests are showing a capacity issue at the exchange which is likely worse at peak times i.e. in the evenings.

I've contacted our suppliers and I've been advised that additional infrastructure is needed which is estimated to be added on the 21st September, and there's no workaround before then I'm afraid.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
wncfc
Grafter

Thanks for the reply - at least I can understand what is happening now!  I've noticed that Openreach are putting another new pole up on the estate today so I guess that means it could be even more of a problem till they add the capacity!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No worries, fingers crossed things go to plan and the capacity issues are alleviated soon!
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
wncfc
Grafter

The completion date of 21/9/18 has passed and it doesn't look as though anything has happened - I'm still get very slow speeds in the evening.  Can you check if the work has been delayed please, and if they have a new date.  Openreach still appear to be doing installs on my estate, which is obviously going to put more pressure on the exchange. (I thought that was only a Virgin tactic!).  Should Openreach be offering some compensation because the advertised speeds are not being maintained?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@wncfc I wish they were doing installs on my half of the village Sad

Joking aside the team we need to chase this up aren't in at this time of the evening but I'll chase this tomorrow

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
wncfc
Grafter

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

I updated your ticket earlier this morning.

Fingers crossed all is sorted on Friday

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
wncfc
Grafter

Its looking promising, with no speed drops since Friday.  Hopefully that's the issue fully fixed.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @wncfc,

Thank you for letting us know how you're getting on. I'm glad to hear that your speed has been stable since Friday. Please let us know if you experience any further problems with your connection or if there's anything else that you'd like to discuss.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team