Developments in FTTP service provision

Openreach to Stop Providing Battery Backup for FTTP Broadband

Makes me even less likely to want FVA.

4 REPLIES 4
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Developments in FTTP service provision

I don't have (and don't need!!!) FVA so the battery backup I have (old style separate from the ONT) is just an eyesore.

The OpenReach decision makes sense as I suspect a significant number of FTTP users will not use FVA. Those who do would need battery back up for their router anyway so can buy a unit that suits them and covers both ONT and router.

Brian

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@bmc wrote:

I don't have (and don't need!!!) FVA so the battery backup I have (old style separate from the ONT) is just an eyesore.

Likewise, except that my BBU is still in it's box unused, sitting on a shelf.  Wink

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@RobPN

If I knew then what I know now then not only would the battery back up still be in its box ( as would my neighbours) but the ONT itself would be in a different place.

Brian

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

If I ever have the desire to move my ONT then that would be relatively easy because I have approximately 25m of the internal fibre cable coiled up under the floorboards just below where the ONT is mounted.  The original run was approximately 3m from my internal CSP (run through my pre-installed conduit) but the BTOR installer was happy to leave the excess from the 30m coiled up for me when I suggested it would then make it easy/cheap to 'self-move' the ONT if I ever need to.

The connectorised end of the cable runs through a short length of conduit (25-30cm) from under the floorboards to an outlet below the ONT, so easily pulled back and rerouted (obviously taking care to protect the optical connector from dirt or scratches).