Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS down - set your DNS servers manually

FIXED
Lwio
Rising Star

Re: DNS down - set your DNS servers manually

Have they tried unplugging it, waiting for 5 minutes and plugging it back in?
damnfinecoffee
Hooked

Thanks, that fixed it for me - after clicking through the friggin' ASUS router UI for 45 mins like an idiot I finally found where to update it

j_s
Dabbler

Sorted my router admin screen connection, I should check the IP address I type in thoroughly! May I ask how to change the DNS server entries on the Hub Two please? I've changed my work laptop already as in the middle of an important server migration so this couldn't be at a worse time!

susanpenfold
Grafter

There should always be two DNS servers, for the very reason if the primary goes down the secondary is able to take its place. It would seem the problem extends beyond a non-responsive DNS server. 

Welshsteve
Grafter

I have a little networking experience but would be nervous about messing up my router by changing DNS settings. Anyone got any idiot proof instruction for a HUB 2, including how revert back once the service is back up?

Can't go all night without internet and having to watch rubbish freeview
susanpenfold
Grafter

Go into Advanced Settings, then "My Network". Click on the IPv4 tab, and go down to DNS Servers. Click on the Auto button so it says "No", then in the first box "Primary DNS" enter 8.8.8.8 and in Secondary DNS enter "8.8.4.4".  Then reboot the router. All your devices are likely to need a reboot to get the to use the new settings. 

When you want to revert, click on the auto so it say "Yes". Again, reboot the router and then any devices connected to it. 

Mav
Fixes: 515

@Welshsteve 

Follow the instructions in post 23 then use the following DNS

Primary 8.8.8.8

Secondary 8.8.4.4

Edit: @susanpenfold was quicker than me

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

Advice received in the SU discussion group…

Reboot the router/disconnect & reconnect will fix it by assigning a different a DNS IP.

@Mav ref your wife’s machine still working - that probably depends on how the DNS cache management works for that device / application. In my Win11 platform email (MS Outlook) still works, but Internet browsing does not.

Some applications do a new DNS look up for every connection, where as others look it up once and retain the resolution.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

redsox9
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Unable to access the Internet, I found that the DNS settings I had set manually on my router had disappeared.  I simply re-entered them and voila!

sleepygaz

I can't believe Plusnet killed their service status page. It would usually be the first place I checked when things like this happened.. Nothing on the facebook group or twitter either. Had to ring the support number to confirm my suspicions. Then I came here to register so that I could say how angry I am at the latter two statements. Also, what happened to the comms team?

Now running on Google's DNS.

Telling people not to update their DNS to work around this problem is frankly a little silly. That's exactly what the support team will be telling customers to do, at least it was in my day.

Mav
Fixes: 515

@Townman 

Not sure I explained it correctly but SWMBO has a totally different FTTC connection than me but being so widespread I still can't understand why hers stayed connected with PN DNSes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@Townman wrote:
Advice received in the SU discussion group…

Reboot the router/disconnect & reconnect will fix it by assigning a different a DNS IP.

A reboot for me at 16:35 did nothing although this is using a BT Hub.

However I can confirm a reboot at 17:58 has worked.

(must dash have a lot of phone calls to make advising others to do or try the same)

*edit typo

JSHarris
Aspiring Pro

Interesting side effect out here in the sticks.  Not only did we lose broadband but we also seem to have lost the phone mast (the only one we can connect to, and only then if we walk up the hill behind us).  We tried a Vodafone and an O2 phone whilst standing at the top of the hill, neither had any signal.  Presumably whatever conked out Plusnet for the best part of an hour and a half also wiped out the only two phone service providers in this area (there's only very patchy O2 or Vodafone coverage here).

This does not bode well for the time when we are all 100% reliant on having a connection to make emergency calls, does it?

DafOwen
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Fix

Hub Two Reboot ~ 4:30 didn't do anything for me either.
Will try again.

Edit: Yup works now.

OldEngineer
Grafter

Out for me too

No support answering from Plusnet.

Running a training session on a tethered BT Mobile SIM