Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring my TP-Link router for use with FTTP

FIXED
ToeKnee60
Grafter

Configuring my TP-Link router for use with FTTP

I currently have FTTC with Plusnet and Openreach are installing FTTP on 22 February.
My new TP-Link AX7800 Wi-Fi 6 Router is currently connected via the WAN port to my old modem/router which has Wi-Fi switched off and is being used just as a modem to connect to the phone socket. Everything is working well.

When Full Fibre is installed, I know that my old modem/router becomes redundant and I just connect the WAN port of my new router to the ONT.

Currently the Internet connection type is set to the default of "Dynamic IP".
Is that OK, or will I need to change it to "PPPoE" and supply the same username (xxxx@plusdsl.net) and password as currently used by my old modem/router when I connect the router to the ONT?

7 REPLIES 7
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 74

Re: Configuring my TP-Link router for use with FTTP

Fix
You will need to change it to "PPPoE" and supply the same username (xxxx@plusdsl.net) and password as currently used by your old modem/router when you connect the router to the ONT
HTH
CARWYNGUR

Hi there, I had an install of FTP this week and trying to get my archer vr2800 to work but to no avail. I have changed everything I can see suggested and it’s just not happening. With my home setup the hub 2 is just not adequate and I have spent about 6 hours today trying to sort everything.

how simple was it when you switched yours over in the end I’m getting connection but no internet 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

@CARWYNGUR your vr2800 is a combined modem/router , so first you need to switch it to 'wireless router mode' , see here https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1731/ . Connect the Vr2800 with an ethernet cable from WAN/LAN port 4 to the ONT.

Select internet connection type PPPoE and enter your plusnet username & password ( I assume you know those if you have previosuly used the Vr2800 )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CARWYNGUR wrote:

... trying to get my archer vr2800 to work but to no avail. I have changed everything I can see suggested and it’s just not happening.

@CARWYNGUR 

Given that you've changed "everything" and you probably now have a messed up configuration,

can I suggest that you do a "Factory Reset" before following @MisterW 's instructions, so you are starting from fresh.

You do a "Factory Reset" by pressing and holding the recessed "Reset" switch on the back panel for about 10 seconds, with the router power switched on.

Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 16-59-25 1910012125_Archer VR2800(EU)_V1_UG.pdf.png

CARWYNGUR

Thanks guys, done that and I have done a factory reset to go again, tp link have even gone as far as cloning MAC address it makes no sense

Biggest issue I seem to get is duplicate vlan id as it won’t let me save without enabling it
Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as I'm aware,  on FTTP you shouldn't have any WAN "VLAN ID" enabled, that is only relevant on VDSL/FTTC

Anonymous
Not applicable

Following a "Factory Reset", you shouldn't have to do anything beyond these settings and adding your Plusnet username and password -

Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 17-38-15 How to configure the AC VDSL_ADSL Modem Router as a regular wireless router (new logo) TP-Link United Kingdom.png