Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cisco SPA 100 ATA

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Cisco SPA 100 ATA

@Minivanman while you're waiting for the BT plug adapter, if you wanted to do a few checks on the RJ11 wiring...

The ATA will (almost certainly) be using the 'standard' pins 3&4, the centre two of the six. UK telephones don't seem to adhere to any standard for the RJ11 connector, since they have to provide an RJ11 to BT plug cable. The BT plug will use pins 2 & 5 for the line, so you ought to be able to check the cable that came with the phone to see which pins on the RJ11 are connected to 2 & 5 on the BT plug. If pins 3 & 4 are connected then your RJ11 ->RJ11 cable (assuming it's wired pin to pin) should work.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

The adaptor has arrived as well as a new el cheapo handset and I'm current trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. Using the new handset with the adaptor I am now getting a response from entering those codes, so now I'm going to see if my original cordless phone works as well or, if as suggested by @RobPN it might not work with the ATA because of idiosyncrasies.

Upwards and onward, and now going to see if the cordless works with the adaptor in order to rule it in or out - so catch you guys later. Smiley

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Minivanman
Legend

Well only the new el-cheapo phone is getting a response so I guess I'll use that and put the cordless to one side for the moment.

Seems then I have to try and go through that IVR Actions menu beginning on page 7 but it's making little sense and there is two and and half pages of actions. It might all be necessary but blimey, you'd think they make it clearer and less detailed.

I might not be able to sort it out even with you help guys but fortunately the hosting company to which my number has been ported are more than happy to talk me through it albeit on my mobile.

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Minivanman
Legend

Seems from reading that manual I have two options with this SPA112, either use the ATA's interactive voice response (IVA) or "the routers configuration utility to find the dynamically assigned IP address of the ATA"

So how do I do the latter, or am I going to have to trawl through that IVA menu? 

Herman Melville
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Here's a useful guide https://www.callcentric.com/support/device/cisco/spa112-spa122

Seems like you need to enter  1 1 0 at the IVR menu , that will give you the IP address. Then you can log in to the ATA from a browser and configure it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Minivanman
Legend

Using cmd prompt this has come back, so which if any one is my routers IP address? I'm guessing and I know I shouldn't that its the default gateway.  Roll_eyes

Capture (2).PNG

Herman Melville
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Your routers IP address is 192.168.1.254 ( i.e the default gateway ).

Did the IVR menu not work then ?

Your PC has been allocated 192.168.1.64 by the router, If you don't have any other devices connected then the ATA is likely to have been allocated 192.168.1.65. If you can't find the actual address of the ATA any other way, then try 192.168.1.65 onwards in your broswer until you find the one that responds!

Minivanman
Legend

It did, it just got confusing and there was a lot of it and seemingly just to find the IP address?

Anyways, from there I now have both by hub/router IP address and the SPA IP address so...

Herman Melville
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

You don't want the router address, which is as you assumed the default gateway. You want the ATA IP address which the IVR command as MisterW explained will give you. Then browse to that address to configure the ATA.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

According to that note I linked , you just enter 1 1 0 ( possibly pausing between digits )  at the menu and it will tell you the IP

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@MisterW  @Minivanman   Possibly slightly OT, but several years ago I remember some 'telephony' device where you could set in its software which pair of connectors to use on the RJ11 for the telephone connection.  Unfortunately, whether that was an SPAxxx, an old analogue modem, or a router I can't remember.  Embarrassed

@Minivanman  It would be interesting when you've got time, to try the new El Cheapo telephone with your RJ11-RJ11 cable to see if it works without the US-UK adaptor. Wink

Minivanman
Legend

@RobPN

The El-cheapo telephone works Rob but not as you rightly suspected, the cordless one. Once it's all up and running maybe it will work then, but I doubt it somehow in which case one of my daughters will get a 'new' phone. Smiley

Herman Melville
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Minivanman wrote:

The El-cheapo telephone works Rob ...

@Minivanman Do you mean it works with the RJ11-RJ11 cord alone (i.e. without the US-UK adaptor)?

@Minivanman wrote:

... but not as you rightly suspected, the cordless one. Once it's all up and running maybe it will work then, but I doubt it somehow ...

The cordless could just need a VoIP account to be set up and working ('registered') in the ATA, which I assume would then present a dial-tone.  It seems unlikely to me that it won't work.  Wink

Minivanman
Legend

Right guys - and I hope I'm going down the right route using the internet rather than the complicated (for me) IVR one....

Have got onto the cisco site using the my SPA's address and now into this, so what am I supposed to be filling in here?

Cisco capture.PNG

Herman Melville
Minivanman
Legend

@RobPN

The El-cheapo only worked with the adaptor Rob.

Herman Melville