cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change service port on ONT

edwh
Rising Star

Change service port on ONT

A question I’ve not seen asked anywhere else. I have a multi-port ONT. Would it be possible to have my FTTP service moved from port 1 to port 2, with the minimum of downtime? If it is possible and you are able and willing, could you raise a ticket on my account for the request, which I can then confirm?

I expect this will be one for @Gandalf.

Many thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Change service port on ONT

I've no idea of the answer here (I could see it getting messy though) but out of curiousity: why are you wanting to do this?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

edwh
Rising Star

I need a business service additional to and separate from my (Plusnet) residential service. All the business service providers contacted say they can only provision on port 1, admitting it’s a limitation in their ordering systems. Their solution is to have another ONT (and fibre circuit) installed but that’s not practical and gives me some feeling of guilt for occupying more infrastructure than I really need.

I’ve seen in some of the past trial messages occasional reference to provision on other than port 1. If my residential service can be moved away from port 1 I can then take the business service I need on this port.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks, I see the dilemma.

That said, I can't help but feel it's the business supplier that should be doing the leg work here Wink

I'm not sure if it's posible for us to shift an active OGEA service to a secondary port. I think it would be a fairly peculiar thing for Openreach to provide for though. 

There is the cease/reprovide option, but highly unlikely we'd accomodate this given the expense to us and the problems it would likely cause with your account. This is also akin to what the prospective buisiness suppliers are saying they're unable to do for you.

You might have to suck it up, go the ONT route and hope you get a competent engineer that you can sweet talk into supplying service to the existing termination point.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@bobpullen 

I know PlusNet Business isn't yet offered through FTTP. However, could you ask the Business team if they would supply Port 2 or whether they would require port 1.

Brian

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@bmc - that's not a question I can provide an answer to at the moment I'm afraid. I'm not sure it's a decision that's been made.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

edwh
Rising Star

I’m not in any doubt about this being not Plusnet’s problem though I can’t see how another service provider could give an instruction to alter the infrastructure provision of a different provider’s service. It strikes me a little odd that the service provider needs to specify the port detail to the infrastructure provider - why doesn’t the infrastructure provider just say “next port available is x”.

I’m not sure how the infrastructure provider at the point of installation could report back and say “service provided on port 2” if the service provider’s back office systems couldn’t cope with that.

But I’m still interested if there’s a process. If an ONT port fails could there be the equivalent of a “lift and shift”? Maybe a new ONT would be the practical outcome of this scenario.

I recognise there is a cost to the request and if your answer was “yes, at a charge of £x” I would take that in to consideration.

One other thought I had was to let the business provider have the port 1 service on a “gaining provider led” takeover, if that works yet for FTTP services. Then come back to Plusnet for the residential service, but I recognise that brings me back as a new customer which may not be possible for FTTP and also poses the question - can you provision on port 2+?
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@bobpullen 

Thanks

@edwh 

There is another thread running at the moment where the OP has one residential and one business account already and was looking to add a third service. I believe this has now been ordered although it does require a new ONT for some reason. No mention of any costs for the ONT.

You could post on that thread asking about any port issues.

Brian