Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling phone line and porting number

FIXED
LouB
Dabbler

Cancelling phone line and porting number

Hi,

I have FTTP through the trial, is it possible to cancel my phone line but port this number to a VOIP provider, and if so, what is the process? The VOIP provider's website says to initiate the port through them, but also that broadband attached to the phone number will be cancelled - I don't want to lose my FTTP, and as many of us have found out, the standard Plusnet processes aren't generally aware of FTTP. 

Please could someone advise how I should proceed?

Thanks

Louise

15 REPLIES 15
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Cancelling phone line and porting number

You do need to initiate the port via the oil provider BUT you need to get one of the PN help team on board to monitor the port BEFORE you initiate it. You're right that the PN systems aren't geared for FTTP too well

The port will cease your landline with PN,  hence the need for someone to watch over it to ensure the fttp isn't ceased as well!

Hopefully one of the help team will be along shortly to assist...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

The VOIP provider probably isn't used to FTTP provided internet - I suspect porting a phone number would usually cancel the internet service.

As advised, wait for one of the PlusNet FTTP trained staff to confirm things.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I suspect porting a phone number would usually cancel the internet service.

Correct, porting a number to VoIP will automatically cease the PSTN line which would normally, for FTTC or ADSL, automatically cease the broadband as well.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @LouB,

I'm afraid that I don't have a definitive answer for you at the moment, as the relevant people I'd need to speak to are currently out of the office. I'll pick this back up tomorrow however and get back in touch with further information.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @LouB,

I've spoken to a colleague this morning and have been informed that porting your number out is possible whilst remaining on the old FTTP trial. If you contact the new VOIP provider to inform them that you only wish to port the number out rather than the broadband services themselves, the phone component will be removed from the account once we receive notification from your new provider that they have placed their orders, leaving the main account itself open.

I hope this helps to clear things up but if you have any further queries then please don't hesitate to get back in touch.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@LouB 

If you make the switch keep a very close eye on your internet connection on the day of the move. The problem tends to be the PlusNet accounts department is not up to speed on the FTTP Trial and any closure of the phone line can lead to the internet connection being terminated as well.

I assume you're aware there is a £2.50 surcharge for internet service only.

Brian

wncfc
Grafter

Just to add to this - when you know the date of porting, I would post it on here and one of the fttp team will probably be able to keep an eye on it going smoothly.   I did this and there were no problems at all.

LouB
Dabbler

Thanks very much everyone for your help. Looking at the VOIP provider's porting form,they say that " when you port your number to us your line will cease on the day of the transfer. If that line also had a broadband service on it, it will also cease". as its a VOPI provider, not a broadband provider, they wouldn't be assuming that broadnabd woudl eb switched to them.

I called them up, and they said that they thought that its OK because if its FTTP, then the internet isn't actually on that line, as its on a separate fibre, but check with current provider.

But as Plusnet has them together in terms of account, will they be separated?  There doesn't seem to be any facility to clarify on the form that it is the number to be ported but not to cancel the fibre - I assume that this is a fairly standard form across suppliers.

If I go ahead with that, please can I then get one of the Plusnet support folk to go in and check that the right thing is scheduled to happen?

Thanks

Louise 

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @LouB 

Essentially, you are going to be able to do this without too much issue. 

If you can give us a yell once you have completed the steps with the VOIP provider, we can then make a few changes on your account to ensure that the Landline cease/port out happens, but the FTTP side of things stays the same. 

Hope this makes sense! 

MoR

LouB
Dabbler

Thanks - I've just sent off the necessary paperwork (after much procrastination) - I'll let you know when I have a date. Is it best to post here, or put in a ticket.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No worries. If you drop us a reply over here once you've placed the order and have a date, we'll pick this up and we'll make sure there's no migration out planned on your account. This should stop your account from automatically closing, but still remove the phone component off it.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
LouB
Dabbler

OK, I've had my porting request accepted and been given a date of 5 April 2019 for the transfer date.

Please could one of the Plusnet folk do whatever is needed to make sure that only the phone line goes, and my FTTP is kept active.

I'm not sure what details you need to do that, and what it's appropriate to post on a public forum - I can always send a PM once someone picks this up.

Many thanks for your help

Louise

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Louise.

We've found your account from the details in your forum profile and I've cancelled the scheduled account closure. We'll check back on or after the 05/04/2019 to make sure the phone component has been removed from your account.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
LouB
Dabbler

Thanks very much for the fast response- I'll keep an eye on it on the 4th