Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation of PSTN Copper Landline

Wheeldo
Dabbler

Cancellation of PSTN Copper Landline

Hi,

I'm all setup and running with FTTP Cheesy

As is probably commonplace these days, pretty much the only reason we had a landline was for broadband. We contacted Plusnet support to cancel it and they advised we needed to keep the landline - as it would be required as a backup/failover should the FTTP service go down / be stopped.

I've read elsewhere on the forum where people have cancelled their copper line - so just wondered whether this was still possible and what the process is to do this?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Cancellation of PSTN Copper Landline

Usual nonsense from support, you probably need to wait for one of the forum reps to see your post here, they will help you cancel the line, they need to make sure that the FTTP is not cancelled along with the phone line which the PlusNet system may attempt to do. You may have to pay a termination fee if the phone line is still in contract and there will be a surcharge for the broadband without a phone line, I think it is £2.50 a month.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Because it's a trial the FTTP product is not integrated with PlusNet systems so general support staff know little if anything about the service.

You can cancel your phone line if desired and as mentioned previously there's a £2.50 surcharge. One of the FTTP support staff will pick this thread up (eventually) and will advise if any charges apply for the cancellation.

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there. I'm glad to hear you're up and running on FTTP.

We contacted Plusnet support to cancel it and they advised we needed to keep the landline - as it would be required as a backup/failover should the FTTP service go down / be stopped.

Whilst this is a good idea, as we'd be able to order an ADSL service on your phone line if you ever do have problems with your FTTP connection, we are happy to remove your phone service if you would like us too.

As mentioned, it'll mean the cost of your broadband will be £2.50 extra.

I've raised this ticket on your account that you can reply to if you're still wanting to go ahead.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Wheeldo
Dabbler

Brilliant, thanks all.

We've actually paid landline rental up-front for the year, so there's no desperate rush as it doesn't expire until early March. I'll get the ball rolling now with the ticket being open as plan to port the number to a VoIP provider so the 2 people (of a certain generation!) who only ever call us on our landline can still get hold of us!

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Porting the number is likely to cease the PSTN element anyway so might be an idea to take that route.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Porting the number will definitely cease the PSTN line. If you want to port the number to VoIP don't cease the line first as you will lose the number. You MUST let the port do the cease.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If you are wanting to cease your phone line by porting your telephone number to another provider, please let us know on here of your port date so we can make sure nothing happens to your account/FTTP service.

Often in these situations when a phone line is ceased, a ticket is automatically raised to our billing team to close the account.

So if we know when your line is going to cease, we can keep an eye on your account to stop that from happening.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Wheeldo
Dabbler

Ok, thanks very much all.

I'll report back as soon as I know the date of the transfer.

Wheeldo
Dabbler

Hi Gandalf,

I have a confirmed date & time of 28th February 2018 at 10:00am for the port.

I've already responded to Anoush on the ticket you raised.

Thanks again.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems. I believe my colleague Matt has picked the ticket up.

We'll check back on the 28th.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet