cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel phone line

James_H
Dabbler

Cancel phone line

Hi, I am on the FTTP trial but would like to cancel the phone line.  I am aware of the extra £2.50 that would be added to the broadband charge.

However, from viewing the community posts, I know that it can be done (as some have done so already), but I cannot work out how to go about actually getting it done.

I have tried:

• raising a ticket (138244693), which was passed to customer service, then to customer options who said it would be passed on again, but no further response and ticket closed
  • PMing HarryB who has helped before, though it is unread
  • using live chat, which went to customer, service, then passed to someone customer options.

In the last step, he did check with someone in an FTTP team and said this cancellation of the phone line cannot be done, though it can be migrated to another provider while retaining broadband with Plusnet.

I was under the impression that only a small number of people who work with the FTTP trial are able to process this.  Would someone from Plusnet reading this be able to pick this up, or let me know who I should contact?

Thanks,

James

10 REPLIES 10
BasilBrush
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 6

Re: Cancel phone line

Hi @James_H - thank you for raising this issue on the forums,

The only solution I can think of is the migration of the phone service which you have mentioned. However this would need to be a BT line so it allows your FTTP to work still. Anything else and we would probably run into a few problems. If you need any additional help; please do not hesitate to get back in touch.

Regards,

Mark (FTTP Advisor)

Mark Duell
 Plusnet Support
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

This customer migrated their number to VOIP and needed PN manual intervention.

I presume you are not going to use VOIP.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@BasilBrush @James_H

I'm on the FTTP trial and had my phone line cancelled back in March 2015. The hard work was done by @MattyC . Might be best to see if Matty can perform the task for James_H or explain the inner workings (The work arouse out of the topic https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-To-The-Premises-trial/Phone-Line/td-p/1205701 ) 

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello there @James_H

Many apologies for the confusion.

To confirm, as FTTP does not run using a copper line we are able to remove the line for you. However, your service is contracted until the end of next year so there will be an early termination charge if we remove the phone service.

Feel free to private message me if you would like to know how much the ETC for the phone service will be.

Alternatively, once your contract finishes we'll be able to remove the phone aspect for the extra £2.50 per month.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
James_H
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies here.  I will be using VOIP as a home phone, but already have a service and do not need to migrate the number.

I will send Anoush a PM as I selected the 'no contract' option at outset instead of the 12 months, so not sure how I can be in contract until the end of next year.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thanks for your PM @James_H. I'll look into and will get back to you later today.

And I've looked into it. Apologies for the delay, I've been on calls most of the day.

When your FTTP service was provided and your account was changed over to Fibre, a contract was automatically applied which I've now removed because FTTP is a Trial and there should have been no change to your contract period.

I've created a ticket on your account with more information. If you are happy to proceed please reply to the ticket.

To make sure things don't go wrong and the account isn't closed once the phone service is ceased I've left the ticket in my personal pool. I'll pick it back up next week as I'm off this weekend.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Just to echo here with an update @James_H

Your phone service has been removed, your package is now FTTP only, you should be getting your line rental overcharge refund within the next 10 days and no tickets have been automatically raised to close your account.

I think we're in the clear.

Kevstarkie

Can I ask a question just so it's clear in my head. Thinking of signing up to the trial. I still have 13 months of our contract to run. If I signed up to the 38mb trial, I would have to continue to pay for line rental for the remaining months?

After my contract expires I could remove the line rental cost but would have to pay an extra £2.49 a month on top of the broadband cost?

Final of three questions really, if I then removed the line rental could I up to the 76mb speed and pay just £22.49?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Yep.

To add to this, it's £2.50 extra per month, but you're quite right the Unlimited Fibre Extra (76 Mbps) without Phone is £22.49.

Also, if you want you can pay off the line rental part of the contract and remove the phone aspect early.

Once you're up and running with FTTP, you might need to let us know on here if you want to go ahead instead of calling in because not every adviser can deal with FTTP queries like this.
James_H
Dabbler

Hi, as the OP, it was Anoush who sorted me out regarding the line cancellation.  It is not worth trying to go through the usual customer support route as it is outside their area and they cannot help.  

In my case, I was on a rolling monthly contract but my account had somehow been changed to appear like a contract when moving to the trial (eventually fixed).  However, if I had still been under contract, the cost to pay off the phone line would have been much less than the normal line rental.  So if the landline just sits there being unused, it is worthwhile to pay off early.