Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can plusnet help speed up openreach?

dickij
Dabbler

Can plusnet help speed up openreach?

Hi all

Openreach brought FTTP to the estate about 3 years ago, but only filled in 75% of the estate as they didn't want to go beyond their SuperFast Cymru grant funding and some homes, my whole street, weren't eligible due to State Aid regs. They have now finally filled the rest of the estate in, 3 weeks ago, and I can see the fibre node outside my house and the fibre line leading to it.

I can't however order it yet! I'm hoping it's just a case of waiting for their system to update and if that's the case can Plusnet put an enquiry in to connect me up and speed this up? 

Thanks!

Josh

7 REPLIES 7
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Can plusnet help speed up openreach?

@dickij 

What does it say on the following Checker. You're looking for WBC FTTP in the left hand column and Available to the right.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Brian

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@dickij If your local area was only done a few weeks ago it may a while before FTTP is available.

You just have to keep checking this ... Broadband Checker 

If it shows WBC FTTP available you then have to phone Plusnet to order as you won't see it on the website or in your Member account.

You don't get connected until you have ordered it and Plusnet cannot get Openreach to speed it up.

dickij
Dabbler

It's saying not available, which is what I suspected. The home 3 houses up had her fttp connected last month as the pole serving her was connected up in the initial roll-out... They just stopped short as the grant funding can only be used on homes that received <40mbps  by FTTC (the definition of market failure of that grant) and everyone else along the way. So the infrastructure is on the estate and ready, they just hadn't extended the nodes across streets that weren't on the way to ineligible homes.

I was just hoping that Plusnet may have the ability to see if Openreach can get these new nodes live on their system sooner if it was just an administrative hurdle.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@dickij 

Once the infrastructure is in place the circuits need to be tested - if any problems are found then they need to be fixed before the circuit is commissioned and therefore available.

You just need to keep checking on a regular basis.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I was just hoping that Plusnet may have the ability to see if Openreach can get these new nodes live on their system sooner if it was just an administrative hurdle.

Everything involving Openreach is an adminstrative hurdle and nobody ( including Ofocm and goverment! ) has the ability to get OR to move at anything other than their normal glacial pace🙄

Sorry for the sarcasm...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dickij
Dabbler

Thanks all - just getting a little inpatient Smiley It'll be a massive quality of life upgrade going from 30mb with two people working from home - not discounting the pain of trying to game when there's a 4k stream going on elsewhere in the house ha!

RHines
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I feel your pain man. We're the same. We just upgraded to 500 package and it's heaven man. Hopefully you'll get it sooner rather than later!