cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can my current set-up work with Fibre?

tommygun

Can my current set-up work with Fibre?

I'm interested in getting Fibre but can anyone please confirm that I can replicate my current set-up, as below?
Currently have a (non-wifi) router with three connections ..
1. Ethernet cable to desktop PC
2. Cable from router to to Buffalo wifi router (maybe new fibre router can also handle cable and wifi?)
3. Cable from router to Billion BiPac 2073N which gives wifi to remote art of the house via existing mains electric wires
Thanks.
Tom
4 REPLIES 4
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Can my current set-up work with Fibre?

Hi tommygun,
It wouldn't work exactly the same, but you could still achieve the same results...
The BT modem connects to the outside line and the wireless router then attaches to that. The router has 4 ethernet ports, one of which is used to connect to the modem, so, from the router...
You can have your ethernet cable to the PC
The cable to the Billion
And the router will work as wifi
Hope that helps,
Jojo Smiley
Vip3r
Grafter

@Jojo,
The Netgear router supplied by plusnet (WNR1000) to me a few months back actually has 5 Ethernet ports, 1 is dedicated to the WAN (modem) and the other 4 are then used for the LAN.
I believe it was only the very early Thomson routers that had a 4 Ethernet ports with one of those LAN port configured for use as a WAN port.
@tommygun
As Jojo says you should not have a problem, they should all plug in as you have it now.
The easiest way to think about it is imagine you have Sellotaped the new Fibre Modem and Router together (and connected them), they then act as your current modem+router that you already have.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Indeed you're correct, Vip3r, I was probably getting it mixed up with my DGN2200 Smiley
tommygun

Thanks !
Sounds good Smiley