cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridge Mode

N7ck
Grafter

Bridge Mode

"Bridge mode is a networking feature that enables two routers to coexist without any issues. Once bridge mode is enabled on the router, the extended router essentially creates a mesh network."

"When should I use bridge mode? It is most effective when you're moving farther away from your router and need extended WiFi coverage. Also, it helps devices connected to the private network communicate with each other without any performance issues."

I tried your "Bridge Mode" today, expecting to do what "Bridging" is supposed to do, but it just turned it into a modem, which is utterly pointless. This should be called "Modem Mode" because bridging is supposed to be used to extend a network, but with your "Bridge Mode" it disables the wireless!

I've seen several posts of people trying to use this setting expecting it to do what it's supposed to do, only to discover that they, like me if they wish to use the router again are being forced to reset it!

Please give your router engineers a slap and either give us an actual "Bridge Mode" or rename this utterly misleading feature on your router.

Also, why is there no "Access Point" option on this router? I've always hated your routers and after today's experience, this is going in the bin... unless you would like it back?

20 REPLIES 20
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Bridge Mode

@N7ck I'm no expert with modems/routers, but 'bridge mode' merely turns the Hub2 into a modem, allowing you to use your own - presumably higher spec'd router. Where did you find this 'information'?

AIUI, because I don't use PN equipment (no longer being a PN customer), there is no need to reset the Hub2 if you wish to switch 'bridge mode' on/off - the function is an electronic switch.

If you want an all-singing/all dancing piece of kit, you are going to have to spend some quite serious money.

John
N7ck
Grafter

Yeah, I'm wrong aren't I 🙄
I just read an article and it dawned on me why it didn't work. There should be a warning on this setting for people with FTTP, because the ONT is the modem!

I had play with my network today and was rather gutted to discover you put a switch in between the ONT and the router which I am using, which is the TP AX5400.
But then I thought, I could use the plusnet router kind of like a switch... and enabled bridging mode and... Nope!
Thing is, fttp goes to my computer room, but I was the AX5800 in the lounge fire VR, but I don't trust plusnet routers 🙄

May as well delete this thread... or keep it up to show how much of a bellend I can be 😉

But seriously, there needs to be some sort of warning not to use this option if your intention is to use it with fttp! Coz it ain't gonna work!
jab1
Legend

Who is 'you'? And what 'switch' have PN put between the ONT and the router you are using? You only need the one ROUTER, anything else after that is merely an access point/booster, which the Hub2 is not designed as.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

This is how you connect a Hub two to the ONT.

Screenshot 2023-03-29 075553.png

You can replace the Hub Two with your choice of router, in your case you mentioned TP-Link devices.

There is no need for a switch between the ONT, your router as connected directly to the ONT using the WAN port.

Any wired mesh system is connected to the router making the PPPoE connection using one of it's LAN ports.

HTH

N7ck
Grafter

It's called a typo mate!
You "can't", it won't let me edit my message!

And yes, thanks for the super helpful guide, I've only had fttp for over a month, for which I have not been using this crappy plusnet router!
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
N7ck
Grafter

Why move it when I asked you to delete it, what's the point?

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

Why are you so grumpy ?

We're trying to be helpful

N7ck
Grafter

I'm old, it's old person thing... we're generally grumpy 🙄

Plus people using your router for fttp, NEED to know NOT to use Bridge Mode!

How much hassle would you save yourselves and especially your customers time if you did something about this?
jab1
Legend

None of those replying to this topic are PN staff - only customers.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

Not that I'm trying to be argumentative, where does it say in the Hub Two helpful guide to put the Hub into bridge mode?.

If you are the slightest bit technical connecting the ONT to a WAN port of a router would to me suggest the ONT is a modem, connecting a router to a router would introduce double-NAT and why would any ISP want that?

If you don't won't any further comments on this thread mark it as fixed.

It is not compulsory to be grumpy just because you are old, being old myself I am generally not until I come across grumpy people.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Probably also worth highlighting the warning you have to accept when enabling the Hub Two's bridge mode: -

bridge_warning.png

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

RRM
Rising Star

Hi,

Anyone know how you get to the router once you enable bridge mode?

I enabled it to put it in to my TP-Link ER605 and create a load balanced connection with my 4G router. It works, but now I can't get back to PN router.

Any help appreciated.

R

James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 25

@RRM - I'm not too savvy with a specific "Bridge Mode" option however I've have issues many times with changing the subnet to match Netgears (192.168.1.254/192.168.0.1) , also DHCP assigning conflicting default gateways/Ip's out so I suspect you have an issue with that. I'd remove the 2nd router and try to access the Plusnet router on 192.168.1.254 making sure the device is set to use DHCP not manually assigned IP addresses. Hope that helps you in anyway.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
James - Plusnet Sheffield
Plusnet Help Team