cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bit of a rant... Sorry

rmachines

Bit of a rant... Sorry

I had my fttp fitted last week,  the openreach engineer had no router other than the vsdl2 supplied by openreach,  upon calling plusnet I was told they don't supply a router as it's out of contract on the trials etc..  I have had to borrow a router from work for now,  but it seems a bit stupid that you install the service but provide absolutly no equipment to connect to the service.  I know it's a trial,  but I'm still paying for this service so would expect the provision of a compatible router...?    Is this normal?    I would have at least liked to have know this as I could have budgeted for a new router prior to installation.
9 REPLIES 9
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Bit of a rant... Sorry

Plusnet supplied a FTTP compatible router to me, that was over 2 years ago now. It was posted out prior to the FTTP ONT install.
Since then I have bought other routers as I wanted a dual band router and then upgrade to an AC Wifi router.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
jim1985
Grafter

The FTTP Trials sign up page clearly states:
As part of the trial we'll supply you with a free router. Most ADSL routers are not compatible with FTTP. If you want to supply your own router then please let us know but be aware that the router you're using must support PPPoE over an Ethernet/WAN port

I'd get back in contact with them and point this out as they most certainly should have provided you with an FTTP compatible router.

You will still need to use the OpenReach supplied modem, your FTTP compatible router will then connect to this via ethernet the same as I imagine you currently have your work borrowed router connected to it Smiley
rmachines

Thanks for the replies,  I will get onto them again,  I did fine it a  bit strange. 
AndyH
Grafter

Is this definitely part of the FTTP trial and not FTTC?
jim1985
Grafter

Yes definitely. When you visit the FTTP Trials sign up page, the section of text that I have quoted in my previous post is about a third of the way down the page of text Smiley
AndyH
Grafter

Sorry, I was referring back to the OP's post Smiley
He mentioned the VDSL2 modem, which is for FTTC and not FTTP. Just clarifying whether he's on the FTTP trial.
rmachines

Sorry,  yes I do mean FTTP I'm assuming the openreach modem is a vsdl2 modem,  but anyway that was supplied by bt,  but no router was sent. 
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Yeah, that's not true. Sorry for the misinformation.
I'll get you a router sent out today.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
rmachines

Text recived saying it's on its way,  much appreciated.