cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT to Plusnet FTTP trial

martinswal

BT to Plusnet FTTP trial

HI Just been reading about coming from BT FTTP to the PlusNet FTTP trial, Im still with BT just now so cant see the trial sign up page. I see from other posts that the trial was still active a few weeks back, is it still on now? If it is I think I will take the chance on swapping over as described in another post on here.

Cheers

Martin

12 REPLIES 12
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: BT to Plusnet FTTP trial

The PlusNet FTTP trial is for existing customers only.

Brian

martinswal

Yes I have read that already. I asked if it was still available to plusnet customers as Im not going to become one if the trial has finished.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

It's still open for existing customers Smiley

If you'd like to drop me a PM with your BT landline number I'd be happy to double check the availability before you sign up. Although if you're already on FTTP with BT, I can't see it being a problem.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
martinswal

So if I sign up to standard broadband and then go on to the trial FTTP is there an extra charge for the FTTP?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

The following products and options are available for the FTTP trial:

Plusnet Unlimited Fibre up to 38Mbps - £14.99 per month

Setup charge - free
Speed - up to 38Mbps down, up to 1.9Mbps up
Contract - no change to your existing contract period
Usage - Unlimited
Router - free Hub One

This product is the same as our FTTC Unlimited Fibre product only with FTTP.

Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra up to 76Mbps - £19.99 per month

Setup charge - free
Speed - up to 76Mbps down, up to 19.5Mbps up
Contract - no change to your existing contract period
Usage - Unlimited
Router - free Hub One

This product is the same as our FTTC Unlimited Fibre product only with FTTP.

Please note there is a £2.50 per month additional charge if you do not take Plusnet Home Phone.

These prices also do not include line rental if you are taking phone with us. Line rental is charged at £18.99 per month as of tomorrow.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Sorry to butt in here Harry, but why is there an additional £2.50 per month additional charge if (we) do not take Plusnet Home Phone?

I've just gone over to FTTP as you may know so it seems to me that putting £18.99 a month on top of that £14.99 and impose a penalty if you do not is more than a mite unfair. My own situation allows me to go onto the BT Basic low cost phone service at only £5.10 a month so it would be quite a saving for me - but to be penalised for doing so?  

Ouch. Sad

PS. Just noticed this is an 'old' post, so Plusnet prices and conditions might have changed. 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

The post is only a week old, don't think anything has changed that recently. Broadband only from PlusNet has had a surcharge of £2.50 a month for quite some time. Surely £2.50 a month is better than £18.99 or are you intending to keep an active landline in addition to your FTTP connection?

Minivanman
Legend

@RealAleMadrid

Oops sorry yes, so it is. Crazy2

Sure £2.50 is better than £18.99 but that's not the point I'm making is it, which was why be penalised for doing so.

£30 a year for sweet Fanny Adams on top of what you are already paying, what's that all about?

PS. Yes, I do intend to keep an active land line mainly in case of an emergency during any power cut when as you know the phone and computer along with that router all mains attached become disconnected - at which time I can just plug in my 'el cheapo' £9.99 phone into that socket.   

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Minivanman wrote:

£30 a year for sweet Fanny Adams on top of what you are already paying, what's that all about? 

PN started charging the £2.50 pm for those without a PN landline several years ago which AIUI was to cover (some of?) the profit lost from being able to charge for line rental (and calls?).

If you want to save a bit more money, port your landline number to a VoIP company who will charge you about £2.00 or so pm to 'host' it, or to save even more, ditch that number and get a free number from Sipgate (for incoming calls and CLI) and use a diiferent company such as FreeVoipDeal for very cheap outgoing calls.

Edit: typo

Minivanman
Legend

Thanks Rob, I'll look into that.

As to transferring to BT in order to take advantage of that BT Basic I would have to transfer my entire broadband package over to them and as you may know, BT is more expensive than plusnet.

Talk about a catch 22 situation Roll_eyes 

Herman Melville
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Minivanman wrote:

As to transferring to BT in order to take advantage of that BT Basic I would have to transfer my entire broadband package over to them and as you may know, BT is more expensive than plusnet.

I'm not sure that's the case.

What I would do is transfer the phone service on it's own, then when that has completed apply for BT Basic - don't mention Internet.

A couple of companies who will accept your BT landline number for inward porting at low cost are;

Voipfone

VoiceHost   VoiceHost pricing

From memory the second is slightly cheaper pm and also charges less to actually port the number.

If you don't like their call prices, use another company such as previously mentioned FreeVoipdeal for outgoing calls, and your existing (ported) number for incoming and CLI.

A good VoIP device is a Gigaset N300(A*)-IP which can often be picked up cheaply on eBay,   *A=Answering machine version - often about £5 more expensive.

@Minivanman  Edit:  Here's a decent price for a N300A-IP Buy-it-now on eBay (No affiliation to seller)

Minivanman
Legend

@RobPN

Plusnet are charging me £18.99 a month for my land line and a quick check of prices shows the following so as you can see they are more expensive.

Provider Upfront line rental cost Monthly line rental cost
BT £183.48 (equiv £15.29/mth) £16.99
TalkTalk £180.36 (equiv £15.03/mth) £16.70
Plusnet £155.88 (equiv £12.99/mth) £15.95
Virgin Media £164 (equiv £13.67/mth) £16.99

As regards to your suggestion I might try that as quite possibly BT are being rather disingenuous when telling me earlier that I would have to transfer both my phone line and internet over to them. Having just gone over to FTTP under the trial scheme that is not something I would even consider because of the penalties involved.

So yes, great idea about transferring just the phone on it's own so I'll give it a go. Thumbs_Up   

PS update: Have now spoken to BT and they me yes I can transfer over....but they want £22.79 a month line rental plus a £45 connection charge. They also said the £16.99 charge shown above was the price given by a 'third party provider' and not them so.....

What a game this all becomes eh? 

Herman Melville