Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternatives to Thomson Router for FTTC

mulcahysm
Dabbler

Alternatives to Thomson Router for FTTC

Hello,
I just wanted to share my experiences on getting started on the FTTC trial and how it is possible to use alternative devices to the Thomson router supplied by Plus Net.
The one that was sent to me decided that it did not want to work when the BT engineer turned up but talking with Dave at PlusNet I managed to get my Apple AirPort Express configured with the BT modem.
All you need to do is use the AirPort utility and configure the internet access to be PPPoE, then enter your user name and password as normal.
Plug the modem into port 1 and off you go.
So now I have a wireless N network and only two boxes powered up.
Speed wise I used mybroadbandspeed.co.uk which recorded 37Mbs down and 8Mbs up.  Much better than the 1.5Mbs/448k that I was using before 🙂
Sean.
6 REPLIES 6
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Alternatives to Thomson Router for FTTC

Welcome to the Forums and thanks for the info Smiley
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: mulcahysm
The one that was sent to me decided that it did not want to work when the BT engineer turned up but talking with Dave at PlusNet I managed to get my Apple AirPort Express configured with the BT modem.
All you need to do is use the AirPort utility and configure the internet access to be PPPoE, then enter your user name and password as normal

This will apply to any router not just the Airport. Unfortunately most people refer to a router when they actual mean an adsl modem/router and in this case the adsl modem has to be bypassed. Some modem/routers this can be done easily others ike the PN supplied Thomson I believe has to be configured to use one of the LAN ports as a WAN which can't be done by the GUI.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We flash the Thomsons to a special configuration to do PPPoE. There are plenty of routers that you can find to do this though as this is how cable works.
mulcahysm
Dabbler

Also on the subject of the Apple Airport, one annoying 'feature' is that you have very little control over the DHCP client config so you may want to use out own.  However, you can't turn it off without losing NAT.
But I did find a method of getting around this after a search.  You basically have to trick the DHCP server into only giving out addresses to a non-existent MAC, it will then reject all other requests and your clients will try another DHCP server.  The process is described here http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1892834.
I've done this on my network so that the clients will use the DHCP server on my Linux box, where I can set things like the DNS servers that I want the clients to use.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Its all jibberish. Until you realise it's FTTP in the title

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator Note by Dick (Strat)

Topic locked due to its age and no help is being sought.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine