cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative to FTTP ?

StuartUK35
Grafter

Alternative to FTTP ?

Hye guys (i not posted on here in a while)...
Been a PN customer for 9 years (FTTC)....
Am currently an FTTC customer, to which Plusnet provide a sub-standard service (fear not, i have no complaints with PN due to varying factors....) ....    ie:  68mb/17mb  connection,  apart from between 6pm to 11pm, it ranges from 2mb to 9mb with a 17mb upload / packet loss, and just a general utter rubbish connection like you used to get in 2001 - 2004......... (city, not rural)

Am moving house, unfortunatly for us, it as that BS  FTTP installed. 

Only really BT we can use, who charge £30pm for 2years for a 25mb connection (advertised as 50mb, with a minimum of 25mb, so therefore, its a 25mb connection,  like the old days of   Unlimited downloads with a limit download of 2GB a month)

So on that note, you guys aware of other options i could look at ?  (i am a PC gamer, wired ...)
Dont have an issue paying upto £40pm, if i am getting the service (ie: if speed says 50mb, i want at least 45mb, which allows a 10% overhead)......

5 REPLIES 5
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Alternative to FTTP ?

@StuartUK35 

If it's a new build with only FTTP (no copper) then your options are limited. If there is copper available what speed options show up.

With regard to FTTP services there are several providers apart from BT. Two that I know of are Zen Internet and Aquiss (know nothing about them!!!!). It is rumoured that Sky and TalkTalk are launching products soon.

Brian

StuartUK35
Grafter

Hiya

cheers for the reply...
I know of the fttp providers, but they are business orientated, as home users, we want to pay the average values for home broadband (think FTTC with a 60mb speed = £25pm with telephone)....

The issue i see at the moment is, as its only really BT offering fttp to the home market, the offer, what you actually get and the cost looks awful.

However, cheers for the reply, as i did some reading on Sky looking to do FTTP service.....
Will have to live off 4G for the time being (new build house) , as BT is the last provider i would choose.
Only providers i would entertain are PN & Sky.......  Come on PN, get your groove on, surely given you are BT, you should be offering this service !

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@StuartUK35 

In very general terms FTTP is more expensive than FTTC as it costs ISP's more for the circuit - whether we like it or not.

Zen is a highly regarded consumer ISP who use a well regarded router. If you don't need a land line (many don't nowadays) then Zen will do you an "up to 80" service for £38.99 with a guarantee of no price increase.

If you're waiting for Sky then the following may be of interest

www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/02/isp-sky-broadband-uk-set-for-imminent-openreach-fttp-launch.ht...

Brian

philm
Dabbler

BT Ultrafast FTTP gives as 500mb service for £49.99 or a 900 service for £59.99

Both appear very well priced.

Sky are releasing their Ultrafast FTTP soon over Openreach I believe the Cv19 has delayed this for now, but being Sky we can assume it will be priced competitively.

Zen are also great (UK No1 rated ISP currently iirc). They also use Openreach FTTP and currently offer a 300mb service, but awaiting their faster offerings following the recent Openreach speed boost.

It really is PlusNet who are late to this party, having had this trial for 3 years now, I find 80/20 isn’t cutting it and their massive vagueness about any actual product is driving a lot of us slowly mad!

Ultrafast FTTP is the future and it’s being widely embraced, Openreach being the largest network provider and smaller dedicated FTTP providers also rolling out nationwide (Gigaclear, Hyperopric etc)....it is really baffling why PlusNet having had this trial so long ago have stalled big time in actually bringing something to the public.
edwh
Rising Star

Openreach's list of home and business FTTP service providers.

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fttp-providers