Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative FTTC-compliant routers

itsme
Grafter

Re: Alternative FTTC-compliant routers

Quote from: PhilHawker
Spent quite some time trying to get a Linksys WRT54GS running DD-WRT logged on and now believe that this is NOT going to work. As far as I can see the PlusNet FTTC service needs to use PPPoE with CHAP authentication and DD-WRT (at least the base version which works on the WRT54GS) only seems to support PAP. Not sure whether it's BT or PlusNet handling the authentication, and whether this can be altered to allow PAP. From various forum comments on the DD-WRT boards it looks pretty unlikely that CHAP will ever be supported on that firmware.

I had no problems running the WRT54 with DD-WRT using PPPoE on ADSL2+ and as FTTC use the same backhaul I would expect it to work.
knowdice
Rising Star

This link seems to say that CHAP is available on DD-WRT - http://www.dd-wrt.pl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=320096&sid=23f8516cdef850f80b5a65beb91802d2
PhilHawker
Dabbler

Quote from: itsme
I had no problems running the WRT54 with DD-WRT using PPPoE on ADSL2+ and as FTTC use the same backhaul I would expect it to work.

Interesting! - I'll try a hard reset / DD-WRT firmware update and give it another go. Will post results back here if I can get it working.
Thanks
AxeMurderer
Grafter

Otherwise, the Billion 7800N would seem to meet all your requirements.
PhilHawker
Dabbler

Quote from: itsme

Now working fine... Reflashed with latest build ( dd-wrt.v24-13064_VINT_std.bin for my V1.0 WRT54GS) and it connected instantly. Not sure if it was the reflash or simply bad configuration on my part, but I can confirm that DD-WRT works like a champ on the FTTC service.
Brgds
Phil
TJN

Quote from: glloyd
Is there anythin with the modem and router built in like ADSL2 or are you stuck with having to have separates?

See the other post started yesterday re FTTC Alternate Modems?
PhilHawker
Dabbler

Quote from: PhilHawker
.... but I can confirm that DD-WRT works like a champ on the FTTC service.

Well not exactly "a champ"... yes, it works but the download speed as measured via mybroadbandspeed.co.uk is significantly worse (23Mbps vs 34Mbps avg across about eight samples using each) than using the PN-provided Netgear WNR1000. Suspect that the routing performance of the WRT54GS is constrained by a relatively old / slow processor? The Netgear may not have all the config options of DD-WRT but it certainly runs much faster than DD-WRT on old hardware...
piattj
Dabbler

Just to let you know... I've been running the Cisco Linksys E4200 router for ages now and it's impeccable. Fast, reliable, doesn't drop the connection and just works fine with the BT-supplied modem. Recommended router.
There's now a V2 out for the E4200 which is even faster...
mwerle
Grafter

I've been using a DrayTek Vigor 2750Vn with no problems, although I'm disappointed as to its public IPv4 handling compared to earlier Draytek models.  Apart from that it's great; built-in FTTC modem, VOIP, Gigabit ethernet, etc.
It also has IPv6 support but that is not as good as it could be.  Got it working for the PlusNet native IPv6 trial, but it doesn't work with my tunnel provider (SIXXS).
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Fritz!Box 7390 is another with built-in VDSL2 modem (or can be connected to the BT modem if preferred).
Works fine for me but rather expensive if you don't use all the features.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Hamula
Dabbler

With respect to the supplied WNR Netgear router, claimed to get upto 150mbps but never managed to achieve it, so basically stuck on 54 - 75mbps.
Got the Linksys E4200 and this enables me to run 3 different networks:
5ghz @ upto 450mbps for the parent laptops 😉  I can achieve the full 450mbps in a good line to the unit.
2ghz @ upto 300mbps for the childrens computers and games consoles.
guest network @ upto 54mbps for the older gaming systems like the DS and PSP that can't use WPA2 encryption.
Only problem now is hitting the 120mb monthly usage, especially during the summer months, so I am going to be looking for a way out of this contract and onto another provider who can offer either unlimited or a more realistic usage allowance with a non throttled service - if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: Hamula
Only problem now is hitting the 120mb monthly usage, especially during the summer months, so I am going to be looking for a way out of this contract and onto another provider who can offer either unlimited or a more realistic usage allowance with a non throttled service - if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

Which summer months have you been able to hit the 120GB limit? We've barely had any!
Generally, the best response seems to come from calling the "customer options team", and talk about you having run out of allowance options. They are the ones who seem to have the best remit to offer anything beyond the norm... and even if they can't help you, your request will go on to help gauge PN's need to increase limits in the future (the next occasion probably being in April).
I'd also have probably put this bit in a separate thread on the allowances, rather than an aside in a thread on routers Wink
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Hamula
Dabbler

Quote from: WWWombat
Which summer months have you been able to hit the 120GB limit? We've barely had any!
Generally, the best response seems to come from calling the "customer options team", and talk about you having run out of allowance options. They are the ones who seem to have the best remit to offer anything beyond the norm... and even if they can't help you, your request will go on to help gauge PN's need to increase limits in the future (the next occasion probably being in April).
I'd also have probably put this bit in a separate thread on the allowances, rather than an aside in a thread on routers Wink

Most of last year once I got fibre, went over the 120GB limit almost every month, with one in particular paying over £60 in fees, mostly over the summer holidays as the kids were off, lots of streaming video, gaming and sports, don't want a repeat of that this year, might be cheaper to buy myself out and move over to BT.
slime
Grafter

Quote from: mwerle
I've been using a DrayTek Vigor 2750Vn with no problems, although I'm disappointed as to its public IPv4 handling compared to earlier Draytek models.  Apart from that it's great; built-in FTTC modem, VOIP, Gigabit ethernet, etc.

Interesting!  I have been looking at that model for a while and then the (more expensive) 2850VN too - which dabs (owned too by BT AFAIK?!!) seem to be selling for about £229.  Yikes!  However, I do have the 2820VN now (but ADSL only so have to use the supplied BT OR griddle/FTTC modem) and I'd love to be able to bin it!
What exactly is the problem with your 2750 and do you think the 2850 is better in terms of "on paper" at least?
Cheers.
mwerle
Grafter

Quote from: slime
What exactly is the problem with your 2750 and do you think the 2850 is better in terms of "on paper" at least?

http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15973#p71165
Basically with the old 2800VGn I could do 1:1 NAT mapping of my public IPv4's; with the 2750 I can map the public IPs to internal IPs for incoming connections only; outgoing data is -always- via the routers' IP address.  This is a big disappointment for me as I had assumed the same level of NAT support.
SNMP support is also not as good; for example the 2750 doesn't expose the line quality data which I used to capture and log from the 2800.
I'm hoping that new firmwares will slowly address these issues; it took a while for the 2800 to become fully usable as well.

As for the 2850, the main difference 'on paper' that I can see compared to the 2750 is more WAN support options; potentially useful if you're either moving between locations or if you have multiple WAN connections to multiplex.  The online specs list of 2750 doesn't do it justice, it has quite a lot (most?) of the same features as the 2850 - if there's something in particular you need which isn't documented I can see if the 2750 supports it (send me a PN).