cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After all these years it's going to be goodbye Plusnet/Madasafish/Freenetname :-(

ciderboy
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

After all these years it's going to be goodbye Plusnet/Madasafish/Freenetname :-(

Well, it's taken a bit longer than I'd originally hoped for but I noticed today that I can finally get FTTP to my house. As this is the only fibre option for my property apart from Virgin (who I would never use after previous experience) then, unless Plusnet announce a FTTP product in the next few days, I will have no choice but to go with another provider (ironically it'll probably be BT!) Such a shame after so many years.
9 REPLIES 9
Satss
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 37

Re: After all these years it's going to be goodbye Plusnet/Madasafish/Freenetname :-(

Hi @ciderboy

I'm afraid we do not provide FTTP at the moment and there aren't any plans for this in the near future. It would be a shame to see you leave us after so many years of service. However, we understand that we are not able to provide you with the broadband of your preference. If you do wish to arrange a cancellation of your account please contact our Customer Options department on 0800 013 2632.

Best Wishes

atb48
Grafter

Re: After all these years it's going to be goodbye Plusnet/Madasafish/Freenetname :-(

That information regarding FTTP is highly disturbing and very disappointing- I also have been with Plusnet for very many years.  Plusnet used to be the best ISP for technical support and a service provision that was forward thinking.

After a very long wait for Faster Broadband we now have Openreach drawing in fibres from today! They have chosen to install FTTP, as apparently FTTC is not viable in this rural setting.  Now, whilst checking out how I may upgrade my Plusnet account, I find the Plusnet did have a trial and now have no plans to provide me any faster broadband service

Yet I note that Openreach have recently announced an acceleration in the FTTP provision and consultation  on the demise of the copper network.  

Is Plusnet's plan to loose an increasing number of long-term customers and also to ignore the planned migration towards FTTP?   Many of us recently suffered badly with Plusnet "upgrade" of their email system - now they seem to want to stand still on Internet Access Provision and don't care about long-standing customers, and some of us either have to stay at 2Mbps ADSL or be forced to change their ISP!!  "A shame to see you leave..."!!!!  Well then, do something about it!

Warwick
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi @atb48

I am sorry that we are not able to provide more detail regarding future FTTP provision plans, As you mentioned there has recently been media coverage regarding timescales for FTTP roll-out which is great news however we do not have control over the Openreach network and when they make widespread changes.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

But surely there is 'someone-in-charge' at PlusNet who makes the decisions regarding PN providing a full-blown FTTP service?

Or is that being decided by BT even though PN is claimed to be run independently?

It doesn't affect me too much as I'm fortunate to be on the FTTP trial and ATM I'm not bothered about higher speeds than I have or having the PN TV service, but it must be frustrating for people such as the OP and others in a similar situation.

Not only that, PN are losing out on new customers by way of people who are customers of other ISPs who also don't provide FTTP, finding their area has become FTTP-enabled, then looking around for an FTTP-ISP and  having to go with one of the few available.

Warwick
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi @RobPN

There are a number of people involved in the decision making process of a number of products and services, FTTP's current viability being one of them.

I do appreciate that this must be frustrating for anyone enquiring about FTTP but we simply don't have any information regarding this. When information is released to the public it would be communicated via our usual marketing and PR process of advertising.

ciderboy
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I think I just find it disappointing that, despite having fttp customers already, there is no way to add any more on - particularly when they've been a long term (around 20 years if you count Freenetname & Madasafish) customer.

I'm currently waiting for my contract to expire in August before I move - ironically it's likely to be to BT!

atb48
Grafter

Yes, it is difficult to obtain FTTP planning information - I know that from bitter experience, when we have been promised various possible forms of fibre over the past 3 or 4 years!  However, it is now clearly known that we have FTTP only, as Openreach are currently installing it throughout a larger part of the village.

The question is not to find out about FTTP provision planning but, when FTTP is the only technology actually provided, will PN be able/willing to provide an ISP service similar to the one that PN had recently trialled, i.e. a reduced speed version similar to FTTC.

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @atb48,

Unfortunately, as @Warwick mentioned above it's a decision that is potentially part of some larger discussion.

While I'd love to be able to say more about the future of FTTP with us, I'm afraid we have no information we can share regarding this at this time.

When more information is available, I'm sure we'll let our customers know

atb48
Grafter

Hi @Optimatts,