cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Achieving a Higher Speed than PlusNet Allow

markg140
Grafter

Achieving a Higher Speed than PlusNet Allow

Here is a particularly rare dilemma. Usually complaints or issues are about slow broadband not too fast.
Already raised a ticket with support but just wondered if anyone here had a differing answer to my opinion.

Basically, I raised a ticket with support after a couple of nights I had slow download speed ( I am on the Extra Fibre Package with Pro add on).
However when testing with www.speedtester,bt.com I can achieve speeds in excess of 70Mb for download and I have once seen 16Mb for upload.
These are not consistent but are always above the 40Mb that Plusnet market.

EDIT: Screenshot of said Speedtest result attached.
They are also baffled to how this is happening, however on regular speed testing sites such as www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk I get what I should 34Mb.

My opinion is that when the OpenReach engineer performed work on the cabinet he missed something and somehow I am able to pull down and test to BT without a cap.

Just wondered if anyone else has expierenced the same or has an answer.
3 REPLIES 3
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Re: Achieving a Higher Speed than PlusNet Allow

Hey markg140,
Can I have some of your surplus speed, or your engineer's mobile phone No.?
I'm down to about 16 Mb downloads now - Plusnet Value Fibre.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,97734.16.html
Paul.
markg140
Grafter

Ha, the thing is I'm not actually achieving what BT's speedtester is saying because 75Mb would be around 9 Megabytes/s download speed and the most I've ever seen through a legal ubuntu torrent download was 4.2Megabytes/s.

It's just a bit baffling I work at a company that provides managed network services and even a couple of the engineers here are a little stuck for answers.

When the engineer did the install he say that they had recieved an email a couple of weeks prior saying BT are gearing up for their 80Mb services.

I must of had some cracking tea and biscuits.
matt_2k34
Grafter

More than likely your anti - virus software is screwing with the results (e.g. the tester starts the test, and the anti virus is scanning the downloaded data before "passing" it back to the 'site' - this results in it being passed back at HDD - > HDD speeds, rather than web speeds)
There are also some reasons posted Here (for those users who do not realise there are two-similar styled posts here.)
an email a couple of weeks prior saying BT are gearing up for their 80Mb services.

This is good to know Smiley
Regards