Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80/20 FTTC Trial Closed

Gerry
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: 80/20 FTTC Trial Open

To my understanding reading the BT forums "unlimited" means 100GB or 300GB or unlimited.
I may be wrong as BT do not specifically state the figure but people in the forums have had emails informing them that their connection had been resticted to 2Mb as they had reached 80%  their usage limit on "unlimited" This apparently applies for 30 days after the occurrence and not til the end of the billing month. This may be BT option 3 which is 20Mb adsl
As I say I may be mis-interpreting the information but at any rate it's not very clear what unlimited means on BT.
At least with PN there is no argument to what their traffic policy is:-
£38 on PN for 120GB limit, traffic shaping at certain times depending on what traffic it is plus anytime calls or
£45 for BT for about the same albeit with traffic shaping only applied to P2P.
It's all very confusing but yer pays yer money....
It also seems the usage allowance is 24 hours whereas PN is 8am til midnight.
Gerry
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I find it difficult to believe that any ISP is truely unlimited so unless something comes up that is earth-shattering I think I'll stick with PN for the time being.
Gerry.
Adam1V
Grafter

Sky do....
http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/fibre-optic/
100% unlimited and allegedly NO traffic management, this is standard.
Sky Fibre Unlimited is a residential service that offers totally unlimited usage - there is no fair usage policy and no traffic management is applied to this service.

dick:quote
Bazza
Grafter

With BT Unlimited P2P is managed between 4pm to 12am weekdays and 9am to 12am at weekends. This is ONLY P2P see here http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10495/~/broadband-usage-policy and here http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10495/c/346. There used to be a 300GB download limit per month but this was removed over 12 months ago see here http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/BT-TO-SCRAP-300GB-LIMIT/m-p/141429#M65392 Sky is truly unlimited with no traffic management but wasn't available in my area when FTTC was enabled.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi all,
Just letting you know that I'm finalizing the survey for the 80/20 FTTC trial today. if there's any questions in particular you'd like to see asked in there then do let me know and I'll see if it can be included.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
theberrys
Grafter

Can you still sign up to the trial?  If so, do you have to get a new router for the trial?  I have the Netgear WNR1000v3 so I should be OK.
Bazza
Grafter

@Adam off the top of my head I think answers to these questions would be useful:
1. Which router(s) have you used throughout the trial?
Technicolor TG582n
ZyXEL NBG4604
Netgear WNR1000
Other (please specify)
2. For each router trialled please indicate:
How easy was it to make your first connection?
How long did it take to connect or reconnect following a reboot?
3. Wireless performance.
How easy was it to set up your devices for wireless connectivity?
Did they perform as expected?
4. Customer Support.
Did you need to contact PlusNet customer Support during the trail either by phone or support ticket?
Was your question resolved after the first call/ticket?
Was your call/ticket resolved to your satisfaction?
5. Please provide us with any additional information regarding your experience on the trial.
paulpicks21
Grafter

I think the greatest question you can ask is
How much extra do you think we should charge for the 80/20 service?  Grin
leng
Grafter

Quote from: Adam1V
Sky do....
http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/fibre-optic/
100% unlimited and allegedly NO traffic management, this is standard.
Sky Fibre Unlimited is a residential service that offers totally unlimited usage - there is no fair usage policy and no traffic management is applied to this service.

[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rules ]

Your link takes me to a page saying "can't put anything in your basket".
Actually this is fairly typical of the sky website.  I've spent several hours attempting to remove an unwanted Sky Sports package from my Sky subscription.  You can order an upgrade to something in seconds but downgrades or removals cannot be done automatically.  You have to contact an advisor either by live chat (never available), email (it took me ages to discover this option only works in IE) or telephone (not a freephone number).  And when you do get to that point you eventually discover that there is now a 31 day notice requirement for downgrades.  Apparently this was introduced last year as a requirement of the "in-advance" billing system ... which has been in-advance for as long as Sky has been selling subscriptions.  I doubt I'll ever order anything else from Sky for fear of never being able to cancel it.
c0dec
Grafter

Finally got FTTC installed after BT were dragging their heals upgrading my exchange and entered this trial, im very impessed with how well the BT Wholesale site estimated my speed actually:
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 63.3Mbps and upstream line speed of 20Mbps.

Lets hope it stays like this! An extremely good upgrade from 5mbit ADSL2+ thats for sure, the only thing I think Plusnet should really be doing is increasing the monthly allowance for the Fibre Extra product to at least 160/180GB a month, 120GB is going to get eaten up fairly quickly for anyone using the net on a regular basis.
Dan
c0dec
Grafter

Back home and tested again this evening and its got even better!

Extremely happy! Lets hope when I have to pay for this it isn't a tragic cost being that BT do it for free! Wink
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I certainly would not expect Plusnet to be uncompetitive on price.
Nice speeds too c0dec!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
ffox
Pro

What caused the packet loss at 4 pm?
prichardson
Grafter

Your connection was online throughout and our network shows no loss for the appropriate times. No outages are noted from our suppliers for reduced capacity or network switchout either.
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bqm/t/4127193-bqm-packet-loss.html
Looking at my own graphing, I saw issues at the same time, but neither as long or severe (and I am not on Plusnet at home). Per the above link, other notes similar, which is the one downfall of the BQM in that it's hard to distinguish between provider outages and issues at TBB side.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've seen a post on their forums that say they are doing work on some of their servers.
The one you CAN rely on is if you have one of the SamKnows monitoring boxes.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)