Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10mb upload trial.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: 10mb upload trial.

Like ADSL products lines can be interleaved or not but whether the DLM applies interleaving with Fibre depends more on the distance from the cabinet rather than distance from the exchange, if you are reasonably close to the cabinet and have a good clean line then yes, pings will likely be very good.  Mine were typically 20-25 to bbc.co.uk on ADSL2+ at about 3500m from the exchange, now 9-11 to bbc.co.uk at about 300m from the cabinet.  One warning though: I'm not sure if PN are able to request removal of interleaving on FTTC the way they could on ADSL.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
reddev87
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
If we're gloating ...

Tongue

Thats just cheating Sad
My line wont even get close to 80 when its enabled, the modem thinks around 50-60 tops.
Damn you aluminium!
reddev87
Grafter

*double post*
reddev87
Grafter

Quote from: flaminmoses

hello mate.
can i ask what was your ping before you started the trial?Huh
im thinking of ugrading to fibre soon but want to know if there is a change in ping and jitter.....very active online gamer  Smiley

Before I had fibre at all, I generally had pings of 35-40ms on ADSL2+, and jitter of 2-3ms.
Being in Northern Ireland, my pings tend to be ever so slightly higher than those on the mainland. But even saying that, I've never seen it rise above 28ms, it usually hovers around 18-22ms.
They don't seem to have changed at all with the increased upload, nor did I expect them to.
Jitter (as you can see in my pingtest in sig) is practically non-existent, never seen it above 1ms.
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: flaminmoses
im thinking of ugrading to fibre soon but want to know if there is a change in ping and jitter.....very active online gamer  Smiley

My latency figures have varied quite a lot, and it seems to depend on a few factors:
- Basic latency for fibre seems to be around 10ms. I had this sometimes on my first line, which was in Surrey.
- Sometimes the latency on my first line would increase by 2-3ms. This happened at each PPP connection from the router, and then stayed stable. I got different results even when I came in on the same gateway at Plusnet... and in the end, I decided this was probably caused by there being multiple backhaul routes from my exchange onto the national network - sometimes I would get the shorter route, and sometimes the longer one. I read of someone seeing similar thing based on the south coast (Southampton or Portsmouth), where the dual connections either went up to London or up to Birmingham.
- My current line, based in Yorkshire, gets a consistent 13ms latency, and doesn't vary when a new PPP connection gets made.
- The first line encountered errors, and had interleaving turned on. I know the severity of interleaving can vary, and this can affect the amount of latency added, but my latency times became 19ms at a minimum (then adding the 2-3ms based on the PPP connection).
These figures are usually pretty consistent. The times can be delayed by maybe 2ms in the 8-10 evening slot - that is definitely the busy period.
I don't have any ping jitter times, but my samKnows box tells me that RTP jitter times average 0.4-0.5ms most of the time, about 1ms @16:00, 0.75ms @18:00, 3ms @20:00 and 0.8ms @22:00.
HTH.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Dev
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks Bob  Smiley  please close the question on my account.

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've done so, glad it's working for you Smiley
Anything else we can help with, please let us know.
Ronski
Rising Star

Quote from: Bob
If the billing aspect for the 10Mbps FTTC upload works on the handful of accounts it's enabled on, then the ability to uncap upload will almost certainly be opened up to the masses. In the mean time I'd like to ask that those interested allow a few weeks for us to complete testing. Hopefully we'll have some good news at the end of it.

This is probably the first bit of good news I've read on here whilst researching this 10Mb/s upload speeds as I'm after the 10Mb/s too.
Any news or updates yet, and if it is going to be available (or not) where will it be announced?
PS Can't believe it's that complicated to add another product line to your billing system.
chartford
Grafter

I'm another who is desperately after this 10 Mbps upload too and don't mind paying a bit extra for it.  My fault for not reading the website information properly, but when I joined Plusnet I thought the upload speeds would be the same as BT Infinity and was so disappointed to find they are not.  It must already be available at the local exchange to me as my neighbour has it through Infinity.  I work from home and am about to have a lot of large files to move around, so this 10 Mbps upload would be so useful.  Any chance of it happening very very soon?  Thank you!  Smiley
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Short term, you're probably better registering your interest in the 80/20 trials guys.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Ronski
Rising Star

Don't worry, I will, as soon as FTTC is enabled, just two days to go (well to my RFS date anyway), fingers crossed.
flaminmoses
Grafter

thanks for the replies to my question.
Ronski
Rising Star

Any news on the 10mb add on/billing system?
Still haven't  got FTTC enabled, no surprise there really, hopefully it'll be soon and it'd be good if there is some positive news regarding the 10mb upload speeds.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Ronski,
No further news, but as Bob said, you're probably better off applying for the 80/20 trial once you're enabled.
Jojo Smiley