cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10mb upload trial.

michellereid
Grafter

10mb upload trial.

I've asked plusnet if I can take part in the 10mb upload trial for an extra £2 per month.... Should be sorted out next week, but does it involve a Open Reach visit to my cabinet.
28 REPLIES 28
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: 10mb upload trial.

No, it is currently restricted at the exchange so all they do is change the profile.
WWWombat
Grafter

It'll get ordered one day, and then probably happen with an automatic resync around midnight that night.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
garywood84
Rising Star

Quote from: michellereid
I've asked plusnet if I can take part in the 10mb upload trial for an extra £2 per month.... Should be sorted out next week, but does it involve a Open Reach visit to my cabinet.

How did you do this?  I mean, who did you speak to?  I'm on the verge of leaving PlusNet because I want to sign up for fibre but need 10Mb upload speed, but I really want to stay if I can get a decent upload from PlusNet.  I'm getting conflicting messages from staff about when 10Mb upload will be available as an option, so it sounds like you've had more luck than me!
michellereid
Grafter

@garywood84
Read the post on their blog (http://community.plus.net/blog/2012/01/24/plusnet-fibre-trials-updates/).. I left a reply saying I'd be interested and a member of staff sent me a message asking if I would like to be one of the first to try the new upload speed for a extra £2
garywood84
Rising Star

Thanks, michellereid.  I've posted in another thread to ask for help with this.  As I say, I really don't want to leave PlusNet if I can help it, because the service I've had over the last six years has been great.  But, getting faster upload is one of my main motivations for wanting to switch to Fibre, and since I currently get ~1Mbps on ADSL2+, 2Mbps on Fibre just isn't a big enough increase.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that Bob might pick up my thread and let me join the same trial of the billing process around this as you...
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Peter
No, it is currently restricted at the exchange so all they do is change the profile.

Are you sure of that? With FTTC/FTTP the ADSL equipment is in the street cabs not the exchange. Either way it's a remote configuration change.
reddev87
Grafter

I also got the opportunity for 10Mbit upload to help test the billing system aspect.
The order was placed yesterday and the regrade went through at around midnight last night.
Finally!!! Bye bye 2meg upload. It surely won't be long before this is released to anyone that wants it.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Guys, just to be 100% clear there *isn't* an official trial for uncapped upload on the current FTTC products. Have a read of my posts in the thread here for further information.
The last thing I need is an influx of requests asking to take part in a trial. It's unlikely I'm going to have the time to respond to them all, let alone accommodate the requests.
If the billing aspect for the 10Mbps FTTC upload works on the handful of accounts it's enabled on, then the ability to uncap upload will almost certainly be opened up to the masses. In the mean time I'd like to ask that those interested allow a few weeks for us to complete testing. Hopefully we'll have some good news at the end of it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

reddev87
Grafter

Sorry Bob, I didn't mean to put you in an awkward position.
Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it at all. Tongue
adie:quote
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

If we're gloating ...

Tongue

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

paulpicks21
Grafter

holy cow , now that is smokin fast Bob!
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Cry @ Bob
One day I might get FTTx... *Opens Rightmove*
flaminmoses
Grafter

Quote from: reddev87
I also got the opportunity for 10Mbit upload to help test the billing system aspect.
The order was placed yesterday and the regrade went through at around midnight last night.
Finally!!! Bye bye 2meg upload. It surely won't be long before this is released to anyone that wants it.

hello mate.
can i ask what was your ping before you started the trial?Huh
im thinking of ugrading to fibre soon but want to know if there is a change in ping and jitter.....very active online gamer  Smiley
phil4
Grafter

I kid you not, Ping times a -mental- quick!
Typically <20ms for most stuff, and indeed usually 10-15 msecs.  But some sites are 8~9msecs (eg. BBC News).
Jitter was negligable.