cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temporary Dial up Connection required.... Urgent....

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Temporary Dial up Connection required.... Urgent....

Going on a short break today, and need to set up a dial up facility to take my laptop with me, as I don`t expect there will be a wireless broadband connection where I am going.
Laptop is the only machine I use.....
Do I follow the procedure for a free dial up connection here .....https://portal.plus.net/my.html?s=0&action=refresh_browser
Or will this cancel my broadband altogether?  I will be switching off my router whilst away from home.
If the place I am going to, is broadband activated, will I be able to take my router with me and use it there?
I do not want to have the hassle of setting up wireless broadband when I return at the end of the week...
Urgent advice needed please..... leaving just after lunch (1 o`clock ish)
Thanks

4 REPLIES
Emma
Grafter

Re: Temporary Dial up Connection required.... Urgent....

You can use the dialup number on that page a long as the router is off, you can't really use your username and password twice (on two lines). It won't cancel your broadband, but it is chargable to the bill that the phone line you are dialing up from. It might be worth looking at the dialup accounts, maybe go for the lowest and downgrade it to a free account when you get back. At least that way you are then paying for dialing up not the bill payer.
If there is broadband there your router will only work with that providers username/password, unless its a Plusnet activated line which it in this case would work. Another option is 3G but thats expensive at the moment and doesn't always get a good reception.
I would leave your router at home, either go with the dialup number on the member center or go to http://www.plus.net/residential/dialup/?resheader=dialuptab
Hope this helps
Emma
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Hi Emma,
Thanks for the reply..... so I just need to set up my "dial up connection",  as was originally before I had broadband,  with that number, and make sure I have the router unplugged at home. Sounds easy enough ! !
Not intending to do a lot of long time connecting, just a "may want to check something" so hopefully won`t be piling up the owners bill......
Thanks again, Wink
Emma
Grafter

Yup thats right, so its as you were prior to broadband, with there router of at home, if you get stuck when you're there you can always call Tech and they will help.
The dialup number is pretty handy to have  Smiley
Have a great trip!!
Emma
avalon
Grafter

If you have time it might be worth checking the old dial-up modem works before leaving if it's an external one.  Things electronic can stop working even when they aren't being used. Wink