cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what speed to choose?

N/A

what speed to choose?

Just a little confused over 3 different speeds you offer and which on to choose.

What governs what speed you choose? I would have thought the faster the better, so why offer 512k if there's no price difference betwwen that and 2meg?
1 REPLY
N/A

what speed to choose?

In general, yes, you may as well go for 2MB.

However, if, like me, you *know* you are a long way from the exchange (I wouldn't have got ADSL at all under the original distance limitations), going for 2MB and then finding that you can't get it will delay your order, as the BT system currently does not allow PlusNet to tell them "Give him whatever he can get", so the order has to be resubmitted - that's why I just went for 512k straight away.

Another consideration is that, while you may be able to get a higher speed, if you are a bit borderline, you may encounter a few minor irritations like dropped connections more than you would at a lower speed.

All this is set to change in a month or so anyway. BT are upgrading, and PlusNet will be giving us a free speed upgrade to whatever the line will support, so if you have any doubts about your line and don't want the order delayed, I think I'd settle for a lower speed for the moment and see what happens then.