cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the download speed restricted to on Plus account

N/A

what is the download speed restricted to on Plus account

On the details page of the plus account it is stated that during peak times 6pm to 11pm preference for downlaoding is given to users browsing and using e-mail. To what extent is the spped dropped to when people try to do large downloads using this service. eg does the downlaod speed drop to that off a 512 connection a 1mb connection or slower.

I'm trying to work out if I'll really notice the download restriction in comparison to the 512 connection I use at present?

cheers

A
1 REPLY
N/A

Re: what is the download speed restricted to on Plus account

I'm off to find that page (about 1800-2300 as peak), after I've posted this...

Downloading from Usenet is around 10-12 kBps from sometime in the morning (I think 0800) to 0100 the next morning, and the ADSL usage graphs show a dip only from around 0030 to about 0800.

preference for downloading is given to users browsing and using e-mail. To what extent is the speed dropped...

Depends what you mean by 'downloading'.... I can watch films (from CinemaNow.com) and download software at full speed. I don't use BitTorrent or similar peer-to-peer file sharing applications, so don't know what happens to them, but as mentioned above Usenet is restricted... 40 MB an hour during the day and about treble that from 0100 to 0800....

But download a piece of software (eg 40 MB) and it'll come in at 200 kB/s easily, if the other server is going OK... around a week ago someone posted that speed might be significantly lower than the line speed of 2000 kbps so I tried a quick test around 16:00 that Wednesday afternoon and did a transfer of 16,185,344 bytes in 67.270 seconds... so that's about 240 kB/s for using FTP at a moderately busy time of the day.