Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

two ISP's on one ADSL telephone line

N/A

I have a friend who uses free-online.
He lives with his son.
They have only one phone line.
The son uses a different ISP and has ADSL broadband.

At the moment the father still uses dial-up for access to free-online.
Is it possible for him to sign up for free-online ADSL using the same phone line?
Bruce
3 REPLIES
N/A

Re: two ISP's on one ADSL telephone line

Is it possible for him to sign up for free-online ADSL using the same phone line?

No, it isn't possible to have more than one ADSL connection on a single line. I'm not sure why he would want to though - an ADSL connection can be shared to connect an entire household to the internet, and most ISPs allow collection of emails from outside their own networks.

If you could clarify what your friend hopes to gain from two ADSL connections, I'm sure someone here will be able to come up with a helpful solution!

Peter
slev
Grafter

Hi

There are two options available for your friend,

1) install a second line and have that adsl activated ,

2) as pbruffell says share your connection,

If you prefer free-online your friend could migrate foc to free-online, you could use a wireless router and use the same connection for 4 computers within your household, more information on free migration at the link below.

http://www.free-online.net/products/offer.html

Depending on your line if it supports 2 mb that is more than enough speed for sharing, i did this on 512 with no problems.

Kind Regards

Ian
Community Veteran

Likewise :lol:

I have 2 computers sharing 1 ADSL 512 line with no noticeable speed problems, and with wireless routers getting cheaper all the time, you don't even need wires!

The other advantages are shared printers etc if you need them (how many times has your printer gone phtt just when you need something in a hurry).

Even I managed to set it up, so it's not hard!

John