cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

small question about packet shaping etc

N/A

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070618005912&...

from those dudes, FTP does not even come into the high usage protocols so why did you / do you throttle it?
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Because people HAVE used it in the past to get around ISP limits on the normal P2P protocols. So to stop that from happening again it is restricted, however the restriction does not apply to FTP to PNs web servers.
N/A

how would it be used to get around P2P limits? i doubt most "torrent"ers would know how to set up a dedicated box to torrent to, then to ftp to etc..

plus, even they people that make this kit do not see FTP as a large BW protocol -- so why restrain it from everyone that needs/used it -- note, so glad i no longer have to put up wiht it Cheesy
Community Veteran

Hi Buzz

Long time no see.

how would it be used to get around P2P limits? i doubt most "torrent"ers would know how to set up a dedicated box to torrent to, then to ftp to etc..

You of all people dont need me to tell you how it would be used Smiley

It was and by a substantial number, hence the reasoning behind our stance as mentioned by Peter.

It was a case of the old story, where there's a will there's a way, with the help of a server or two here and there Wink

Good to see you around. Hope things are going well for ya.
N/A

nice to see people have an imagination when it comes to hopping round barriers Wink not that i condone that *whistles*

Yea I'm all good with ma new isp (AAiSP) loving it there, they even have a nice irc chan to get support in, hooza!

Nice to see plusnets new roll out of products though, could be interesting to see where it all goes :p

*wonders if he can get special rights to post in the rest of the forum* -- promise ill be good Smiley
Community Veteran

Glad your enjoying AA.

not that i condone that *whistles*

I hear ya Tongue

Nice to see plusnets new roll out of products though, could be interesting to see where it all goes :p

Yeah. Its been a good product launch and uptake has been impressive. watch this space for further news Wink

*wonders if he can get special rights to post in the rest of the forum* -- promise ill be good

I wish, but rules is rules. Sad

Dont forget about the community site though link I'd be happy to see you popping in there now and then. Its still in beta atm and once it becomes fully live the same rules might apply, but who knows, you might have migrated back by then Tongue

Take care buzz. Smiley
N/A

pfft rules pfft :p *checks out community*