cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sending emails from wifi hotspots

N/A

Plus net user here and use the following to send and receive emails.

Incoming (POP3) Mail Server: mail.plus.net
Outgoing (SMTP) Mail Server: relay.plus.net

I've just upgraded to wireless, works fine in the office, and about to go on the road. Question I've read a topic about not being able to send emails through relay unless you are using plusnet. How do I get on if I want to use a wifi hotspot to send and receive emails using plusnet?
10 REPLIES
N/A

You're correct - you have to be connected through PlusNet to use the relay. You could use the webmail client to send emails - when sending from this you don't have to be connected to PlusNet.
N/A

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but I've only just seen it!

I remember Ian saying a while back that they would add an Authenticated SMTP server onto the list of things to do - did this ever happen? If not, has anyone any ideas on whether it will ever happen?

Cheers,

Adam
N/A

Just the question I wanted to ask too. Webmail is very handy I agree but I don't wat to have to pick my email up in Outlook and then have to log into my webmail to reply. Is there any news on Authenticated SMTP mail server? I do a lot of travelling in my job and it would be a lot better/quicker if I could reply directly from Outlook. Is there another way in the meantime?
N/A

I believe it's a paid for option now.
N/A

Just spoke to sales a minute ago and they said it is standard on the Premier account which I have. Will have to test that one when I am next out with the laptop!
N/A

I'd like confirmation of that from one of the reps as there was a big debate about it not being free on the ADSLGuide forums. If it is indeed free now then I would have expected an announcement.

I'll PM someone and ask them to have a look! Smiley

Adam
N/A

Let me know if it true won't you?
N/A

I thought i had a fair knowledge of the products here but authenticated smtp paid or otherwise is new to me.

I cant find reference to it anywhere in the product information.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Hi there,

SMTP auth is not supported on the Premier accounts.

The idea to support it has been raised internally a number of times:-

[Idea 3275] - SMTP Authentication for Wireless BB - Unprocessed

[Idea 1924] - SMTP auth for non-BT Broadband Customers - Accepted

[Idea 1717] - SMTP auth enabled for all paid customers - Accepted

[Idea 806] - Authenticated SMTP - Accepted

And a few earlier raised problems that were rejected for technical hinderences at the time.

The last I chased this up, the opinion was that we could implement it, however we would need to install some additonal server equipment to manage the load which isn't top priority at the moment. It hasn't been dismissed completely and I'd like to think that with Wireless hotspots growing in popularity, it is something that we will revisit further down the line.

Customers can use webmail as has been suggested, or change the outgoing server address of their email client to smtp.btopenzone.com as suggested here.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

Thanks Bob but can you explain why your phone staff told me it was supported and you tell me it isn't. Did they not get the internal email?