cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

questions about migrating from Pipex

N/A

I am considering migrating to Plusnet £14.99 service. I am at present on a speed of 512 k with Pipex, and assume I will be put on a speed of 2mb if I sign up for Plusnet plus.

I quote the Plusnet FAQ, viz:

"Please note; a fee of £14.99 is charged if you choose a PlusNet product based on a different speed or contention rate to your existing service. This covers the cost of regrading your BT phone line".

Does this mean I will be charged a one off fee of £14.99 by plusnet as I am
migrating to a service with a faster speed, even although I know that my BT line is capable of receiving a speed of 2mb but hasn't been upgraded yet.

Another question. I was under the impression I can sign up for a monthly contract, but not according to another FAQ, viz:

"Also note; if you cancel your service with us before the end of the 12-month minimum period, a moving fee of £14.99 (inc. VAT) will be charged, in addition to any other fees that may be payable. "

Could somebody enlighten me please. I phoned Customer Services yesterday, and got fed up being put on hold.
6 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Right, basically migrations occur on a like-for-like basis. If you are connected to the exchange at 512k (576 sync speed), then you will connect to Plusnet at that speed.

You can choose to pay £14.99 to upgrade to 2Mb, which will mean that once migrated in, Plusnet will place an upgrade order for your line to upgrade it to 2Mb.

You do connect to Plusnet on a monthly contract, but at the moment they offer Free Migration whereas the usual price is £14.99. So basically, what they're saying is that if you choose to leave within 12 months, you will be liable to pay your migration fee of £14.99, otherwise you get it for free.

However, you can leave within a period of 45 days if you're not happy with the service. This is under the Plusnet Guarantee - see http://portal.plus.net/features/customer_guarantee.shtml
N/A

If you are awaiting a free speed regrade from Pipex, then this will be cancled during the move.

Once at PlusNet you will receive a free speed regrade, however, not for a considerable amount of time.

Phase 1 of the upgrade program (currently underway), will upgrade existing customers.

Phase 2, which will be started once phase 1 is complete, will see customers that have migrated in between the start of phase 1, get a free speed increase.

Phase 2 isn't likely to start until September. I suspect it will be a lot longer than this though.
N/A

Thanks for the very prompt replies to my post. Much appreciated.

At the risk of becoming a pest, could I ask another question or two. I read on a Plusnet forum, that they throttle you back during peak times of between 8am and 6pm. Does this mean that that download times of usenet messages would slow right down. (That is why I changed from a PAYG connection with Freeserve.)

Does it also mean that it would be practically impossible to download a few music tracks between these hours.

I get the impression reading between the lines that the Plusnet plus service isn't far removed from Dial-up, or is this not the case? please bear in mind that I don't know much about this subject at all, and am not trying in any way to criticise Plusnet.

I would be grateful if somebody would tell me that I am totally wrong about this.
My idea of moving from Pipex is to save money, but not at the expense of a totally impaired service.
LiamM
Grafter

Broadband Plus is a 2Mb service, and you'll get full-speed for Web Browsing, Email etc... but Peer-to-Peer will be slowed down quite considerably.

If you intend to use Usenet and P2P, then I would opt for Premier.
N/A

Excuse me for being thick, but if I opted for the Plusnet Premier 2mb service at £21.99 would I still only be on the speed of 512kbps, (which is what I am on just now with Pipex) unless I paid the £15 for an upgrade?

Pipex have just sent me an email saying my line won't be upgrade till Xmas, as BT as so far behind. Unless I am prepared to pay £15. Would the same waiting time apply if I declined to pay Plusnet for an uprade in line speed.

I find this all very confusing. Please keep it simple, and thanks in advance to anybody with the patience to answer this.
LiamM
Grafter

Basically, Plusnet have already sent a bulk regrade order to BT for all of it's customers to be upgraded to 2Mb. Pipex will have done the same.

Because you will be migrating in after Plusnet knew about you, no order for an upgrade will exist for you, and you will therefore stay on 512k. Your upgrade through PIpex will also be cancelled due to the migration.

You then have two options.

a) wait for Plusnet to submit another bulk regrade order (to catch up all of the customers who missed the last one), or,

b) pay £14.99 and upgrade now.

If you choose a) you could be waiting a while. Plusnet will wait until BT have finished the initial wave of upgrades before placing another order. It is likely this will be a few months down the line.

If you choose b) you will migrate in on 512k, then a manual upgrade will be processed for you to upgrade you to 2Mb. This normally occurs after a couple of days. Maximum 7-10.