cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet broadband? NEW USER HELP!!

N/A

Hi I have been with AOL dial up for 4 years and have signed up today for broadband plus with plusnet as fed up with AOL.... :roll: have I done the right thing? Wink ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED...
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I think you have done the right thing.

You will see a lot of "Flack" flying on the forums at the moment because of the recent new terms and conditions that include "Idle timouts" on the Broadband Plus account and the old Home surf, along with the "TrafficShaping" that is being applied to the Premier accounts.

However many people are saying that they are seeing no effect of the shaping and the Idle time out is a bit of an unknown at the moment.

In the end it depends just what you expect from your account. If you want to use lots of P2P traffic then the Broadband Plus account is not the one for you and you need the Premier account.
If you just want to surf and do the ccasional downloading then the Broadband Plus will be fine.
moorhouses
Grafter

you've deff done the right thing in moving from Ameria Off-Line Wink
End of the day, its the same BT Wholesale copper/optical/aluminium lines (pref not the latter!). You just gotta choose the best package, and find a company that treats you right.

I've not found a company that offers such a wide range of servers and forums etc before.
N/A

plus.net new subscriber needing advice..

I signed up last night for plus.net Broadband Plus Service which advertises 2mbps downloads speeds ..after checking on my local Skegness BT EXCHANGE it seems that I will only get 1MBPS speeds...as I am not computer literate will this be ok ? I have been on AOL Dialup for the last 4 Years at 56?

any advice appreciated Elaine..... :?
Community Veteran

The speed you get is indeed tied in with how far you are from the Telephone exchange and how much loss there is in your line.

I meg will work fine for your connection. Indeed some people are only able to receive 1/2 meg due to line distance / loss.

I am currently still on 1/2 meg awaiting the free upgrade that should happen soon, but the 1/2 meg still does everything I need from the internet.
N/A

Shocked Many Thanx JOHN ESSEX you have put my mind at rest...One last question how long will I need to wait ..for set up..the customer service man said up to 5 days but the email confirmation said 7/10 days for the line to be adsl upgraded then the hardware i/e modem is sent to me so am I looking at a possible 3 weeks wa :roll: it
Elaine
Community Veteran

Shouldn't be anything like 3 weeks as long as there are no snags with your BT line.

It's normally within the 7 (working) days.

The only think that may slow it up by up to 5 days is if you do everything using direct debit as the it takes time for the bank to get this setup.

Always best to use a card for the first payment(s) and then transfer to Direct Debit once your up and running.