cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

migrating from Freedom2Surf (f2s.co.uk)

N/A

after a few months on ADSL4Less we are currently with F2s. The speed is 2 Mb(Upper Holloway exchange). Although they are promising upgrades to either 8 Mb or even 24 Mb in the near future, the data transfer cap is working against us.

We are not big on P2P or fileharing otherwise, but listen to a lot of internet radio with iTunes and downloading about 1-4 Gb of software and updates from the web a week.

Has anyone migrated from F2s to PlusNet and if so, were you charged for the period of 30days beyond the migration date (as happened to us with ADSL4Less)?

Seems like that some ISP's are allowing you to specify the migration date. Does PlusNet allow us to specify the date? If so, could we give notice to F2s and then have the migration take place 30 days from the notice date?!

Also...

how is that traffic shaping affecting general websurfing (inluding watching realPlayer content). If I was to download a 320 MB update to lets say X-plane, will this be going at slower than maximum speed?

What if we were to update the OS and there was 350 MB of software updates to be downloaded. Would they be afftected by the traffic shaping!?

If traffic shaping is specified using port numbers, is there a list of affected port numbers available from PlusNet?

Does PlusNet provide MAC number for outgoing migrations?

Ok, I better stop here, but we need a bit more clarity on the above, before we consider moving. If anyone can shed some light on the issues mentioned here, we would be much oblidged.

Regards
5 REPLIES
craigbrass
Grafter

I have segmented this answer so it is easier to understand for you.

Migration Charges
This depends on how long you have been with F2S. If more than 12 months, its free to move to PlusNet. PlusNet won't charge you nor will F2S for moving away from them.

Migration Date
Yes, you can specify your migration date and you shouldn't experiance more than 20 minutes of downtime. You keep your existing ISPs details until the migration date and then you enter PlusNet's.

Traffic Shaping
Traffic shaping ONLY effects file sharing and not web browsing and downloading so you will recieve the max speed of your broadband connection. Traffic shaping effects all P2P ports (as in BitTorrent, Kazaa, EMule, ect). There is currently no list, they just say "All File Sharing Ports".

Outgoing Migrations
PlusNet fully supports outgoing migrations and provide you with a MAC code on request. This assumes that if you opt for a yearly contract, you have finished your year.

Hope this helps you decide to move to the best ISP on the net!
N/A

I have segmented this answer so it is easier to understand for you.

thanks!

Outgoing Migrations
PlusNet fully supports outgoing migrations and provide you with a MAC code on request. This assumes that if you opt for a yearly contract, you have finished your year.

Is that saying that if we were to sign up for a monthly contract, which is what we intended to do, we would not get a MAC from Plusnet, if we were to move ISP after lets say 4 months?!!

>;-O
Community Veteran

No, you'll get a MAC.
N/A

No, you'll get a MAC.

...and we don't need to pay for it? right?! (if we are on the monthly contract all we need to do is request a MAC and give 30 days notice... is that correct?

thanks
Community Veteran

Yip, as far as I know, as you will be outside the contract period, if it was a new activation the you stay we pay scheme may complicate things but for migrations I belive there is no such fee?