cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

file system change

N/A

file system change

Please tell me how to change from FAT32 to NTFS.

Cheers

Bob
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

file system change

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/convertfat.mspx

But I recommend you backup all the data on it before you do the conversion. Also there is no way back once you have started the process.

This does assume you are running XP
N/A

file system change

I think you can actually convert back to fat32 using 3rd party software. Partition Magic maybe. If your using XP I can't really think why you'd want to convert back to fat32.
Community Veteran

file system change

If your using XP I can't really think why you'd want to convert back to fat32.

Good old DOS needs fat 32 to work and I have been very glad I retained fat 32 when a virus could only be removed using DOS to delete the offending file. Smiley
holdtight
Grafter

file system change

Yes i agree with that John on the system im using now ive got two sata drives with a total of six partitions NTFS and one FAT32 for just such an occassion should it occur, no matter what system im running i always keep one fat partition

You cant go back to fat32 after converting to NTFS without losing data as has been said but you can if you reformat your disk

@Bob
To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt
Open the Command Prompt window.
In the command prompt window, type convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

For example, typing convert C: /fs:ntfs would format drive C: with the ntfs format.
Because the drive is in use (mounted) you will be asked if you want to convert the drive after the next system start, type Y and hit enter then reboot

To open a command prompt, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
You can convert FAT or FAT32 volumes to NTFS with this command.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

file system change

If your using XP I can't really think why you'd want to convert back to fat32.

Good old DOS needs fat 32 to work and I have been very glad I retained fat 32 when a virus could only be removed using DOS to delete the offending file. Smiley

This is why this software is absolutely great Bart's Preinstalled Environment as it allows you to boot from a CD with full access to all files in the operating system etc. and addresses NTFS as well as FAT32
holdtight
Grafter

file system change

Ive used Bart PE a couple of times it works a treat, i would recommend that everybody had this bit of software on a disk ready for those AAAAHHHH ! times