cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email cut-off / domain name question

N/A

Hi there,

Having recently closed my PlusNet account and migrated away I have a couple of questions that I can't find an answer to.

After closing my account PlusNet sent no notification that this was confirmed. After receiving and email to say that another months payment was about to be taken, I queried this and received an email saying -

"Your username: XXXX

Dear Mr Brian Smith,

This email is to confirm that your cancellation request has been
processed. Your account with us will finish on 14/05/2007."

That email was sent 18th June (yesterday) :!:

Since arriving back today, I can no longer access my emails that were being sent through Plusnet, or indeed, even log-in to the PlusNet site to look for an answer to my queries. Where are my emails now going and how can I get to them? Are they still being stored on PlusNet's servers? I've had no communication from PlusNet to say that these email accounts would be closed so soon (or if I have, I can't get to them).

I had registered my own domain when I signed up with Plusnet and email was being sent to users at this domain - delphwynd.co.uk. Before I migrated, I thought I had transferred this domain out, but am not sure if this has been/is being processed. I'm still showing as registered to this domain, but not sure where to go next to get my email back and working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Brian Smith
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

When a migration completes, BT Wholesale can sometimes be delayed, and sometimes they actually forget in telling PN the migration has completed thus PN will naturally assume you have not yet migrated and will take the next months payment unless told otherwise - which is the correct default action to take. You raising the point probably meant PN checked BTW's system, saw the migration had completed and then generated the email with the completion date.

When you cancelled (requested you MAC), did you request your account is downgraded to a free dialup PAYG account? While this should happen automatically, it does not always. Hopefully your account can be reactivated but I'm not sure if your existing emails will be retained. You will need to post your account name so someone from PN can pick this up.

Don't know what happens to domains in this situation. Did you request a transfer out?
N/A

Thanks for the quick reply Peter.

When you cancelled (requested you MAC), did you request your account is downgraded to a free dialup PAYG account?

No I didn't; but then again I can't remember reading anywhere about doing this. Account name was delphwynd if anyone from PN is reading this. I didn't think the emails would stop without some kind of warning though, so that I could ensure they would continue or transfer OK.

Don't know what happens to domains in this situation. Did you request a transfer out?

I used the transfer domain function under my Account/Website settings link from within the Member Centre. I'm not sure how this would work though, as the domain was one of the £1 per month extras that PlusNet offered and not one I'd registered direct.
Community Veteran

For the domain it depends on whether you were in your first or 2nd year or multiple of. In the first year you have to pay to transfer it out, in the 2nd I believe it is free. That's how I remember it anyway.

I can't remember exactly how the £1/month domain transfer works.... did you give PN the IPSTAG of the new registration/hosting company or did you just say you wanted to transfer it out? You should have had a reply to the request explaining what to do.
N/A

Thanks again Peter,

The domain was registered Nov 2004 through PN and has been actively hosted by them since then. As I went through the Website settings and chose the "transfer out" option, which only allowed me to change the Registrars details, I thought that would set up the process. When I do a WHOIS query on the domain now, it shows the IPS tag changed, but the nameservers still with PlusNet; think I'll contact the new hosts and see if they can sort it out.

Cheers!
Brian
Community Veteran

If the ISPTAG has been changed then only the new registration / hosting company can now make any changes to the domain.

Do you have a control panel with the new company where your domain is held? If so, that may have a method of resetting or changing the name servers so give that a try first.

If a comms agent does not pick up the problem with your PN account here, I suggest ringing support and see if they can reactivate it.
N/A

Peter, I've contacted the new hosting company and they've picked up this now. They're probably able to everything that needs done from their end it would seem.

Thanks for the help though, I just wish PN had advised me what was happening before they pulled the plug and left me without access.

All the best,
Brian
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

Hi guest,

Not sure if you are going to check back to this thread or not but I might as well try to help.

When a customer migrates out or cancels their account we should be actively checking for domain names on the account and advising the customer of the options they have. If this did not happen in your instance I would be happy to speak to the agents in question and advise them in the future. (I know this doesn't really help you but it may be helpful for other customers down the line)
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Are PlusNet always properly cleaning the AA flag from their DNS servers when people move domains now?

Silly question, staff said they were before when they weren't Wink
N/A

This wasn't meant entirely as a snide dig by the way. More a word of warning. After moving a domain (whether just hosted or fully controlled by PLusNet) out, be sure to triple check everything. As well as checking that your domain is setup properly as far as the rest of the world is concerned, use a tool like 'dig' or those from DNSStuff to confirm that PlusNet's servers (ns1.force9.net and ns2.force9.net are used for this I believe) have been changed correctly and relinquished control. Else anyone using PlusNet's DNS servers may not be able to reach your website, e-mail you, etc.