cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

blocking nusiance callers

N/A

Does anyone know if BT will allow you to block incomming calls from certain numbers? Also if mobile phone providers do the same?
17 REPLIES
N/A

BT provide only one incoming blocking service. This will block people from calling you, where they withhold there number from you. It should play back a message, asking them to dial a prefix first.

If you are getting annoying marketing calls, register yourself with the TPS for free, and will take 28 days to be fully operational.

After this time, report any unwanted marketing calls to the TPS, as they are breaking the law by calling you.

If it is not a marketing call, phone BT's nuciance call department, who will take you through the procedures and options available.
N/A

I've heard from some that it doesn't work Sad I've registered, and seem to be getting a lot less.... but then again, I'm at work all day, and I refuse to buy an answering machine :lol: if it's important they can call me on my mobile.

I know that they are only doing their jobs, but if you didn't register any interest in whatever they are selling, then they shouldn't call you. Likewise, if you say no the first time, then that should be that, however, being polite to them seems to make them think that if they call you enough times, you'll buy. One tactic my dad found effective was shouting abuse at them, threatening them saying that he works nights (which he does), and if they call again he'd seek legal advice... that put a stop to the window sales :lol:

they must have a database or something, where they can mark a number as a no no Cheesy

personally, I would refuse to take on a job that requires cold calling, because I find it annoying, and know how much it annoys people, warm selling (or whatever they call it) fair enough.
Alecto
Grafter

Telephone Preference Service definitely works.
I've been registered with them for years and never ever get cold calls, while my next-door neighbour who isn't registered gets several every week.

What confuses some people is that firms you've done business with are allowed to call you despite the TPS (eg I got a marketing call from BT and when I said they weren't allowed to call me, they explained that it was OK since I was a customer). What you have to do there is simply tell them not to call you again, and they don't.

So at worst it should be one call you get from everybody you've dealt with, and you simply tell them to record that you don't want to be called again.

:roll:
Community Veteran

I can also vouch for the TPS service and the junk mail equivelent, both of which have worked very well.

As above, companies which you are a customer of are allowed to call you but they will often have an option to not do so.
N/A

Its a nuisance caller Sad
N/A

nuisance as in not a company calling you, but an individual?

if so, I believe the steps to take are to log the times, dates n number if possible, and then report it to the police? the result of that I believe is usually a new number being issued, if they warrant it to be serious enough.
Community Veteran

I also agree the TPS is worth it.
Ive registered on my home phone, my mobile and my wife's phone, so far calls on our home phone are down from about 5 per week to non and calls on her mobile are also down by about the same, I get one or two per week but they could argue I agreed to them for various reasons.

With regards to malisious calls, report them to BT / other phone provider in the first instance, the police will take alot longer to act, if at all.

Chris
N/A

Yes I agree also registered with TPS a few months ago, all the cold sell calls have now stopped. Cool
Community Veteran

Good to hear that as following this thread I have now registered, so it will be great if they do stop.
Im getting fed up to the back teeth with this cold calling sales business.
N/A

Vwery much indeed.

I have given much advice in the past regarding the TPS, but never used them until just over a month ago.

It worked like an absolute dream, and I can now reply to people on forums, without India callign every 10 mins Tongue
N/A

same here with TPS------registered 2 months ago and have'nt had a cold call for over a week now......a record !
viva TPS
lowry
Grafter

I have TPS too - and although marketing calls from India aren't completely gone the number of them per week has dropped considerably. If someone calls, it is worth mentioning the Telephone Preference Service as they will probably then end the call.

matt Wink
N/A

Sods law. I have had the first one since registering today, since replying.

Worst of all, it was a damned robot, with a "Dial 9 to speek to our operators". It held my line open for 10 mins before it gave up.

It witheld it's number, so now it's time to move onto "anonymous caller reject"
lowry
Grafter

I think the worst one I have had is when I was called and then automatically put through to a premium rate number (without my prior consent - I'm not sure if I'll be charged as they put me through) and got this strange ringing tone and then an Indian person answering. So, aswell as selling me the things it ended up that I called them (thus, I think, incurring a charge).

Cowboys! Smiley

matt Wink