cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a particularlly stupid question but...

N/A

Hi all

I know this is a particularlly stupid question but hear me out anyway.

My exchange is going to be activated soon so I'm very much looking forward to having it at home (is very annoying after coming home from work to a 45.2k connection when I have a 4MB-ish feed at the school where I run the IT network hehe :roll: )

The problem I've had at home is that very now and then - seems to be at certain times of the year hehe - I get a slight crackling on the phone line. This of course renders any chance of the dial-up connection from working and basically, my question is will it effect the broadband connection like it does the dialup connection? (how long is a piece of string? Wink hehe)

I just dont want to have a blame-everybody style argument later on if I have to call out BT and the line stops crackling before they turn up.

Any thoughts? (please, no insults)

PS Anyone know if its possible to run a server - either linux or 2003 that can be visable from the internet, anywhere? - i.e. my own webserver
12 REPLIES
N/A

....whoops....

forgot to say:

Many thanks for yor time everyone.

Best regards,
Nathan H.
YBD (edu)
Community Veteran

Crackling may or may not cause a problem. It could cause disconnections if the crackling is noisy or just a loss of data which the error correction in the ADSL link will recover from.

If you are getting it a lot I would raise a fault with BT and have it checked, it may be a lose wire or bad contact somewhere which you really need to get sorted.

Yes, you can run your own server on your PlusNet ADSL line. username.plus.com points to your own IP address (which is static by the way). So you may need to configure your ADSL equipment to do 'port forwarding' for the necessary ports and you may also need to setup your firewall to allow incoming connections to your server.
N/A

Hi
Have been there,the noise on the line (crackling) does cause a major problem with either dialup or ADSL. Initial line tests for DSL failed (line losses), got a normal dialup with +net, I also found problems with that, disconnecting for no reason. Cry very frustrating :!:
Some tails do have a happy ending, finally got BT out, first they replaced the overhead line back to the pole , that failed. Cry So I now have a completely new line all the way back to our local exchange, and have had no problems since, with either dialup or ADSL. Tongue
Three cheers for the BT engineer who took the time to correct the fualt Tongue
N/A

Re: a particularlly stupid question but...

(how long is a piece of string? Wink hehe)

It's twice as long as its first half.

Smiley
N/A

Wow...didn't expect that many replies lol Cheesy

Yes, you can run your own server on your PlusNet ADSL line. username.plus.com points to your own IP address (which is static by the way). So you may need to configure your ADSL equipment to do 'port forwarding' for the necessary ports and you may also need to setup your firewall to allow incoming connections to your server.

My plan is to set up a router (one of those all-in-one jobs i.e. ADSL/Switch[Hub]/Firewall/Wireless router on it - will I be able to set up one machine as a server while being able to use other pc's at the same time - how would that work viewing from the net? i.e. how would it differentiate between the server & a client pc from the outside if only given one IP address? (wow....that summed it up nicely lol)

Have been there,the noise on the line (crackling) does cause a major problem with either dialup or ADSL. Initial line tests for DSL failed (line losses), got a normal dialup with +net, I also found problems with that, disconnecting for no reason. very frustrating

Its very annoying isn't it? lol

Usually, I dont have any trouble but sometimes I get this slight crackling - if I'm online already, it 9/10 doesn't d/c me but does cause surfing to be greatly degraded. Of course, if I d/c myself then try and connect, it usually connects the link after a few attempts (i.e. 56 > 45 > 33 > 22k-ish) <- dont mean redial Wink Enough if I was using messenger lol Wink

Had a BT engineer out last year and thank god, it still was crackling when he had a listen - because I live in a block of flats, I think it made it worse (can't remember what he said really except call again if there was a problem - and there hadnt been til a month or so ago :S - hope they stick to aknowledging the problem still :? )

Thanks,
Nathan
Community Veteran

Wow...didn't expect that many replies lol Cheesy

My plan is to set up a router (one of those all-in-one jobs i.e. ADSL/Switch[Hub]/Firewall/Wireless router on it - will I be able to set up one machine as a server while being able to use other pc's at the same time - how would that work viewing from the net? i.e. how would it differentiate between the server & a client pc from the outside if only given one IP address? (wow....that summed it up nicely lol)

The router does it all for you using NAT (Network address translation) which allows upto 254 PCs on your local network to share the same IP address allocated by PlusNet. You setup all your PCs on a local network e.g. 192.168.0.X and use the routers DHCP capabilities to automatically allocate IPs to PCs on your local network. The router's NAT them keeps track of all communication from eac internal IP address so it knows where to route the replies to.

For a server (like a web server), you setup a PC with a fixed internal IP address (i.e. 192.168.0.200) whic is outside the DHCP allocated trange and use the port forwarding method on the router to direct all connections to port 80 on your ADSL IP address to port 80 (or any port you like) on 192.168.0.200 on your internal network.

It's much easier to do than describe.
N/A

Hi Peter (and anyone else for that matter Cheesy)

Thanks for the quick reply...again Shocked

Yep...thought it was fine - I understand what your saying perfectly Cheesy

That sounds great - I could choose a different port number to prevent
the likelyhood of hacking...er...right? Suppose I'd have to be careful with that though in case I choose a port used for something else....is there a site anywhere with a list of free ports (though if there is, that would make hackers' life alot easier :lolSmiley?

Does sharing a ISP assigned IP addy have any disadvantages tho? (not that any spring to mind of course lol)
Does online gaming suffer at all? i.e. I plan to have 2-3 ppl online at the same time gaming with games such as Half Life, MOH, Red Alert (all variants), etc.

and lastly,...

Whats the best package I should go for? I know it sounds silly and you all shouldnt answer this but is plusnet's service any good?

I was thinking of the "Broadband Home 1MB Premier option @ 29.99 wires only and get a HP / 3COM router of the "all-in-one" style-y.

Any thoughts?

Regards & thanks for your time,
Nathan H.
Community Veteran

That sounds great - I could choose a different port number to prevent
the likelyhood of hacking...er...right? Suppose I'd have to be careful with that though in case I choose a port used for something else....is there a site anywhere with a list of free ports (though if there is, that would make hackers' life alot easier :lolSmiley?

It depends on what the server is for. If a web server it really needs to listen on the standard port 80. If it's a games server (i.e. you intend to host online games) then there are other issues which I will explain below.

Does sharing a ISP assigned IP addy have any disadvantages tho? (not that any spring to mind of course lol)

No

Does online gaming suffer at all? i.e. I plan to have 2-3 ppl online at the same time gaming with games such as Half Life, MOH, Red Alert (all variants), etc.

Do yu mean people on your local network connected to games on the internet. If so then no there should not be any issues other than you may max out your available bandwidth.

If you talking about hosting a games server then there is a big problem here. Your upload speed is fixed at 256Kb/s regardless of the speed of your download connection so this will limit how many enternal gamers you can host without severe game/ping lags.

and lastly,...

Whats the best package I should go for? I know it sounds silly and you all shouldnt answer this but is plusnet's service any good?

I was thinking of the "Broadband Home 1MB Premier option @ 29.99 wires only and get a HP / 3COM router of the "all-in-one" style-y.

It depends entireley on what you intend to use the ADSL line for as to what speed is appropriate. Are you sure your line can have >512K speeds, if you are more than 3.5KM from the exchange or your line signal strength is more that 44dB then only 512K is possible.

I think you can find much cheaper all in one routers that will do just as good a job. i.e. Netgear DG834 for about £60->70. butthere are many other brands with a similar spec and price.

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Quote fixed for you.]
N/A

It depends on what the server is for. If a web server it really needs to listen on the standard port 80. If it's a games server (i.e. you intend to host online games) then there are other issues which I will explain below.

Will probably be only for my benefit i.e. so that I can get to access my files from remote places...VNC is one idea..etc. Smiley

Do yu mean people on your local network connected to games on the internet. If so then no there should not be any issues other than you may max out your available bandwidth.

If you talking about hosting a games server then there is a big problem here. Your upload speed is fixed at 256Kb/s regardless of the speed of your download connection so this will limit how many enternal gamers you can host without severe game/ping lags.

The first one really - just wondering if the router helps or not but its a pretty obvious answer really hehe

A games server....hmmmm....nice idea - suppose that could be a nice idea. I'm thinking 4 gamers externally is the real max as 4 x 64k = 256k which should be ok I'd have thought...so long as no one / thing is connected to it Smiley

C&C style games should be ok with that - as opposed to FPS games ...right? :?

It depends entireley on what you intend to use the ADSL line for as to what speed is appropriate. Are you sure your line can have >512K speeds, if you are more than 3.5KM from the exchange or your line signal strength is more that 44dB then only 512K is possible.

I think you can find much cheaper all in one routers that will do just as good a job. i.e. Netgear DG834 for about £60->70. butthere are many other brands with a similar spec and price.

Well....if I'm correct, I *think* I live about 1/4 mile away...if that - its only a couple of streets away Smiley

no idea about the signal strength though Sad

Cool...will keep that router in mind - is that the one you would recommend? I'm a big fan of HP stuff though so i should be able to get one for about the same price...maybe a 3COM one too. Both have served me well, saying that - the Netgear switches are very popular (or at least used to be) with the local county IT services - ahh...good times lol

One other question I had was...

When should I order? Will the service be here? Should I wait until it gets activated here or is it best to "get-in-quick" as I imagine I leave it til after the exchange gets activated, I'll have to wait longer as BT will be all "booked up" (although does that apply if I'm gonig for a wires only deal?).

Any thoughts?

Best regards & thanks yet again for all your help.

Nathan
Community Veteran

If you mean order ADSL, you can order it at any time but PlusNet won't be able to submit it until your exchange is activated anyway.

If you mean ordering hardware, I would wait until you are actually activated, there can be many reasons why you can't have ADSL so having the hardware then knwing you can't use it will not be good.
N/A

Hi again

If you mean order ADSL, you can order it at any time but PlusNet won't be able to submit it until your exchange is activated anyway

Yep, I guessed that but I wont be charged anything until it gets activated will I? Dont want to be paying out money for nothing, plus I wont want to order if I cant get the service I'm after here where I live...!?

If you mean ordering hardware, I would wait until you are actually activated, there can be many reasons why you can't have ADSL so having the hardware then knwing you can't use it will not be good.

Yep as it would be a large waste of money wouldnt it? hehe There's always other things to buy Smiley

Thanks,
Nathan
Community Veteran

The only thing you'll be charged for before your line is activated is the activation fee. However, if for some reason your line cannot be activated, that will be refunded. As soon as your line as up and running (and BT have informed PlusNet that is the case) then PlusNet will start charging you the for the ADSL subscription. Smiley

Thomas