cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I actually be downloading 2MB every second?

N/A

I've just created an account withPlusnet, and I'm waiting for everything to be processed.

As a first time buyer of a Broadband package, I've been wondering about something in particular. Whilst doing research for which ISP to choose, I noticed a few statements that I've never understood. Most people that stated they were on a 2MB connection with a particular ISP always said that they were getting download speeds of around 200kbps. AND they were satisfied with this.

Why is this figure always so low? And if that's the kind of speed to expect, why opt for an 8MB package. I'm sure it's a technical question, but it something that I've always been curious about.

So with a £14.99 2MB BB+ package from Plusnet, what are the TRUE download speeds I should be expecting? And with this package, why is there "no need to keep track of how much you download"?

Many thanks.
4 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Hello and welcome to Plusnet.

2Mb = bits,
200k = bytes,
8 bits make one byte,
so 200k bytes on a 2megabit line is not too bad, given the overheads etc involved. You might get up to 230k bytes download if all is going well.

It's often distinguished between the two by using b for bits and B for bytes, but not always.

with an 8Mb line, you'd expect up to 4 times as fast. But they're not generally available at Plusnet yet.

Downloads on BB+ depend on what else is happening on the network, but seem to be lower than the above figure. BB+ is aimed at people who don't download much, so it's assumed you're not bothered how long they take.
And if you use file sharing/P2P on BB+, then that will be VERY slow - 10k seems not to be unusual.;
N/A

It's often distinguished between the two by using b for bits and B for bytes, but not always.

Oh I see. I was confusing 2MB and 2Mb.

Downloads on BB+ depend on what else is happening on the network, but seem to be lower than the above figure. BB+ is aimed at people who don't download much, so it's assumed you're not bothered how long they take.
And if you use file sharing/P2P on BB+, then that will be VERY slow - 10k seems not to be unusual.;

I think BB+ will definitely be fine for a surfer (& occasional movie trailer downloader) like myself. As long as it's an improvement on my dial-up , I'm happy. Especially since I'm paying more than £14.99 for it.

And I don't think I'd use the file sharing thing. But if I did eventually decide to at some point, it's an easy process to upgrade (for a fee, I read) to BBPrem. right? Other ISPs seem to have stipulations that prevent certain users from upgrading. I'm hoping that's not the case with PlusNet.

Anyway, thanks for the info Geoff.
It's much appreciated.
Alecto
Grafter

Yes you should be fine.
But if you decide you want to do more downloading/file sharing eventually, there's no fee for upgrading to the £21.99 premier package.

Hope you enjoy being with Plusnet. Cheesy
Community Veteran

As long as it's an improvement on my dial-up , I'm happy. Especially since I'm paying more than £14.99 for it.

Well if your line supports 2Mb and even if it only supports 1Mb or 0.5Mb you will certainly be pleased compared to dial up!!! Smiley

Hope things go smooth for you!