cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the difference in charges?

N/A

Why does it cost 24.99 to upgrade the speed of a home users line (monthly contract) and 39.99 to downgrade it?

Whats the difference in whats done that makes it cost £10 extra?

Surely if a line can support 1mb then it can support 512K.

In fact, why is there such a high charge at all? surely its all done electronically & only takes someone a few minutes?

Thankyou,
Mattylad.
3 REPLIES
N/A

That is what you would think.

Most of the charges involved are actualy from BT, and it takes more work than you would think at the exchange.

The reason for the higher charge is that it is a downgrade.

In a upgrade, PlusNet are better off in the long run, and can reclaim administrations costs slowly throught he monthly bill. In a downgrade, the monthly income is less, thus unable to subsidise the administration fee, thus included direct.
N/A

OK thanks.

More works than I would think, somehow I only think of it being click a few mouse buttons on a computor.
I cannot think what would be involved in changing the line speed, especially dropping it.
Unless BT are still using valves & have to change it for a lesser spec one. Cheesy

Are there any web pages that explain exactly what BT do for this?

Cheers,
Mattylad.
N/A

There is nosite showing the process for this, that I know of.

It is much as you say, with a few mouse clicks, things can eb done. However, the cost comes in the exchange capacity management, where a review is performed for each change and/or activation/cease.

This involves BT Engineers at the exchange, and isn't just reliant on a computer.