cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which USB Modem Supplied by Plus.net

N/A

I am upgrading from 512K with BT Y*hoo to 1Mb with plus.net and wondered what USB modem they supply (Make and model).

Does anyone else know if the green "Frog" USB Modem is compatable with a 1Mb connection?

Thanks

Mark
13 REPLIES
N/A

don't know for sure, but my guess would be the frog will be ok, Plusnet's set up seems to be quite standard, their customer care is very good. These forums are full of helpful people

When I signed up I got the USB Binatone ADSL500 modem supplied, it was ok for me, but a lot of people have had problems with it.

I went for a cheap router instead, I would have thought a router is the best way to go with a 1MB connection, but not that useful if you have only 1 desktop.

A cheap router can be had from ebuyer or similar for about £25

If the frog don't work, I'm sure there are plenty of Plusnet users that would sell you a Binatone Modem cheap.

Jeff
Community Veteran

PlusNet supply the Binatone ADSL 500 USB modem, which is not the best modem around and may have compatibility issues with your PC, but you don't need it anyway.

The 'green frog' will work fine with PlusNet and 1Mb connections, so when you sign up to migrate, just select the wires only (no modem) option as it will be cheaper. You may just need to download the latest drivers for it from the manufacturers website (Not BT).

In the long run you are better off getting an external EtherNet modem/router anyway as they are a lot less hassle. You can get an ebuyer origo 8000 for about £25 or you can go for a more expensive and feature rich router that has inbuilt firewall like the Netgear DG834 or similar models from Solwise, D-link etc.
lowry
Grafter

I use the USB modem that was supplied by BT Retail when I purchased their no-frills broadband package last year. This works well with plusNet and I have had no problems. However, I would agree with petervaughan that an ethernet adsl modem router would be a good bet. Some PlusNet users gave me good reviews on solwise routers before and I have heard good things about them.

It may be a bit more expensive than a standard USB modem like the Alcatel Speedtouch (frog as it is known Smiley) but I think a router would be worth the money. USB modems are known to have trouble with VIA chipsets and I have seen many posts before with people who have had a hard time with their USB modem because of power issues, driver problems, etc.

I would recommend DSLSource as a pretty good place to buy a router but there are others such as ebuyer, etc.

matt Wink
N/A

Thank you all so much!

I know I am going to love being a member of plusnet.

Thanks again for all your very valuable advise Cheesy

Mark
N/A

Well I have now signed up, just got to wait for my migration!

Mark
Ianwild
Grafter

Welcome :-)

Let us know if you need any help with anything!
N/A

Modem

Hi there, i'm planning to sign up to a 2mb connection, at the moment i'm on bt bb 1mb and was just wondering if the current modems that i use:
Bt Voyager ADSL USB modem and BT voyager 200 adsl router modem would be compatible or if i have to purchase another one?

Kind regards jim
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi Jim,

The vast majority of ADSL modems will work with speeds up to 8Mbps so I don't see you have any problems using your existing hardware with our 2Mbps service. If it works fine with your 1Mbps connection then it'll work fine with 2Mbps.
Ianwild
Grafter

To add to this, we will shortly be changing our USB modem to a BT Voyager USB Modem, which in testing has had very good results.

Regards,

Ian
Community Veteran

Ah - that's good news!

Thomas
willow147
Grafter

Being a bit ignorant here, but what is the max speed of USB, I guess it must be more than 2Mbps or otherwise a USB modem would not work with a 2Mb line.
Community Veteran

For USB1.1, as used by most (if not all) ADSL modems, the theoretical maximum speed is 12Mb/s (bits a second), which is 1.5MB/s (bytes a second). Bear in mind that ADSL speeds are in bits, so as you can see, USB1.1. can easily cope with a 2Mb ADSL connection.

Thomas
willow147
Grafter

Thanks, made that alot clearer now.