cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin or Plusnet

N/A

Virgin or Plusnet

Should I join Virgin or Plusnet ? Both have a £ 14-99 broadband sevice,how would they compare , Which gives me most for my money Regards E
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Virgin or Plusnet

Don't know much about virgin BB products but plus net has 2 £14.99/month packages:

Broadband Plus:

Up to 2MB speeds.
Traffic Shaped so web surfing and e-mail are given priority on PN's network over high bandwith uses such as p2p and binary newsgroups.
100mb webspace
ability to pay £1 extra month for domain
unlimited e-mail addresses
Friendly Forum Community at your disposal

PAYG:

Up to 2MB Speeds
Pay for what you use incudes 1gig data transfer
250mb webspace
cgi, php, mysql, frontpage extentions
ability to pay £1 extra month for domain
unlimited e-mail addresses
Friendly Forum Community at your disposal
N/A

Virgin or Plusnet

And not to forget award winning support. Way over and above anything Virgin can or will do.
N/A

Virgin or Plusnet

Virgin use datastream with a 512kps speed and a 3Gb monthly cap, for the same money with Plusnet you get speed up to 2Mbs no monthly cap and excellent customer service plus you are not connected on datastream which means it is far easier to migrate if you are not happy.

Also suggest you check forums on www.adslguide.org.uk for guides and details of reports and customer satisfaction of different ISP's
N/A

Virgin or Plusnet

and if you change isp they cut you off a day early.

then because my payment came out a day before i migrated they charged me for one day and dont think i got my refund yet.....More to the point they charged me for a day where i wasnt on any broadband package with anyone bunch of beep beep beep

Plusnet are far better

never had an issue as of yet speeds are high on my end some ppl complain but never experienced it especially when i was downloading on p2p i hiit the 300kb/s mark which i though was impossible then uplaod claimed it was going at 150kb/s hmm

Virgin scrw you over with there price plan and capping when you try to leave they claim it takes week for your mac u never get it (They hope you forget) then you phone them and you have it in like 5 minutes (Strange)
N/A

Re: Virgin or Plusnet

Should I join Virgin or Plusnet

I'd say they're chalk and cheese, but I'm happy with Plus.Net so would say that, wouldn't I. Thing is, for 14.99 on Broadband Plus I can stream video and audio, get some webspace (100 Mb), and if you tell friends, and they join, you will probably end up paying less than that each month.

I put together a page with some of the current ADSL deals, so you can see how much more you'd need to pay with other ISPs to get high speed and be able to browse websites stream audio and video and not be counting hom much extra it will cost if you 'go over'. Check out Broadband-2005 I still have some work to do... Plus.Net has started doing some 'traffic shaping' on Premier (21.99) accounts on file sharing, and if you go for 'free' activation, it's on the basis of you stay (for 60 months) and Plus.Net pays - you would have to pay the full 50+VAT if you left within a year, and 40+VAT in the second year, 30+VAT in the third year, and so on... I put a note about Virgin.net as they used to have no fee if you quit before a year....

Plus.Net does have some 'fair use' guidelines (so people cannot run their connection at full speed 24 x 7) and if you are a heavy downloader of binaries (file-sharing or binary newsgroups) then you would need the 21.99 Premier account. There are some problems anyway at present with the news service, but if you were looking at the Virgin 14.99 account you'd get a max of 3 GB a month... My traffic (with films from CinemaNow, audio etc) this month is over 20 GB on Broadband Plus.
N/A

Virgin or Plusnet

Virgin use datastream ... you are not connected on datastream which means it is far easier to migrate if you are not happy.

These days migrations can be either way DataStream <-> IPstream, so it doesn't matter so much...

Also, while some services using DataStream may have been sluggish, I was using service (sold to other ISPs by Tiscali) and my 1000 kbps connection had zero problems (and cheaper at the time, too, than most anyone else last spring, at 26.50), so DataStream, even from Tiscali, isn't all bad !